The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2011, 06:42:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2011, 04:59:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 10, 2011, 04:15:36 PM
QuoteWorld cup in American football

LOL. The entire concept of a world governing body for American football or a world cup makes me giggle.

American football against other countries would be interesting.  Since sheer bulk is important it would be interesting to see Arab or Japanese players.

"We are at the end of the first quarter and there has only been two fatalities, a good start for Cambodia."

I only just heard of such a thing a few days ago.  Apparently Canada is sending its first team ever over.  But of course since the CFL is in full swing we're hardly sending our A team to participate.  I gather it's a bunch of either retired players, or never made it in the first place.

Supposedly they want to try and get recognized by the IOC and play in the olympics.  I don't see how that is possible, but whatever.

I assume the Canuck uniform is flannel with a giant maple leaf.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I actually never learned to play Rugby.  It just wasn't a game that was played.  Don't know how to play Cricket either.  We played baseball, soccer, and football.  The only one I was decent at was soccer.  I couldn't even hit a baseball even when it was on a tee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2011, 07:13:32 PM
I actually never learned to play Rugby.  It just wasn't a game that was played.  Don't know how to play Cricket either.  We played baseball, soccer, and football.  The only one I was decent at was soccer.  I couldn't even hit a baseball even when it was on a tee.

I was a pretty good pitcher in little league. Until my psycho coach never letting me pitch again because I couldn't stop the runs flowing in a bad game when I relieved the shitty starter.

Never played after that year either.

Ed Anger

QuoteI guess its seen as such a joke the US doesn't send any decent players?

No QB or RB worth anything would even risk their health being protected by an O-line thrown together at the last minute. Even against midgets from Europe or Asia.

Neil

Football is a big deal in more than just the US.  Canada and Japan enjoy it, it's moving into Mexico and there are fans in Europe, especially near US military bases.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 10, 2011, 07:29:58 PM
QuoteI guess its seen as such a joke the US doesn't send any decent players?
No QB or RB worth anything would even risk their health being protected by an O-line thrown together at the last minute. Even against midgets from Europe or Asia.
Obviously you wouldn't send the NFL pros, but those arena guys will do anything for a shot at glory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I actually never learned to play Rugby.  It just wasn't a game that was played. 

I played and never bothered to learn.  You'd be surprised what you could get away with in a scrum.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2011, 08:55:55 PM
I actually never learned to play Rugby.  It just wasn't a game that was played. 

I played and never bothered to learn.  You'd be surprised what you could get away with in a scrum.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 10, 2011, 07:17:35 PM

I was a pretty good pitcher in little league. Until my psycho coach never letting me pitch again because I couldn't stop the runs flowing in a bad game when I relieved the shitty starter.

Never played after that year either.

I liked soccer cause I could kick the other kids.  I actually had some talent in that.  I once scored a goal by bouncing the ball off the goalies crotch forcing him to double over.  The ball came back to me and I kicked it again and hit his face knocking him down.  The ball rolled back to me and since the goalie was now on the ground I was able to kick it in with out obstruction.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 10, 2011, 04:13:23 PM
World cup in American football, USA is up by 3 touchdowns at halftime against Germany.

Not a particular good game.

What a stupid idea.

I considered going to the finals in Vienna, but then I thought: meh, I'll wait for real football season to start.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2011, 07:33:42 PM
Football is a big deal in more than just the US.  Canada and Japan enjoy it, it's moving into Mexico and there are fans in Europe, especially near US military bases.

Austria has a surprisingly solid fanbase, and their teams are among the better on the continent.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2011, 06:47:05 PM
Considering America is the only country which takes that game seriously it would be a stretch to call it a world cup...

:yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Canada? :huh:
I thought Canada played its own similar but not the same version, why would they play the American one?
██████
██████
██████

citizen k

Quote from: Tyr on July 11, 2011, 04:29:09 AM
I thought Canada played its own similar but not the same version, why would they play the American one?

They're so similar, you get many players that crossover.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on July 11, 2011, 05:05:32 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 11, 2011, 04:29:09 AM

They're so similar, you get many players that crossover.

:lol: That's a one-way street, baby.