News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2010, 11:59:43 PM
Apparently there's a march today in Berlin commemorating the 125th anniversary of the end of the Berlin Conference 1884/5 which carved up the colonial spheres in Africa.

The marchers call for a memorial in Berlin that condemns colonialism, slavery, and racist violence. They also intend to raise awareness of Germany's blood stained colonial history (pre-1933 Germany is not present in most people's minds except in the broadest of terms).
Why would anybody in their right mind condemn colonialism?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2010, 08:22:03 AM

Germans like to feel guilty about all their history? I still expect we'll see a public apology some time in the future for Lechfeld and Teutoburg Forest.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 26, 2010, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2010, 08:38:01 PM
Half naked drunken bacon cooking FTW
All the ingredients for a truly horrifying grease fire.
Worth the risk for the taste.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 03:59:39 AM
I have finally bought a CSA flag to hang it on my wall.

Why hang that particular flag on the wall?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 08:32:02 AM

Germans like to feel guilty about all their history? I still expect we'll see a public apology some time in the future for Lechfeld and Teutoburg Forest.

:P
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on February 27, 2010, 09:08:58 AM

:P

I've seen a few of those things about, where are they from? They're always on imageshack and never have the website written on them...
██████
██████
██████

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2010, 09:32:22 AM

I've seen a few of those things about, where are they from? They're always on imageshack and never have the website written on them...

They are from http://humon.deviantart.com/
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Josquius

Deviant art huh
I thought it was a proper comic site, they're around the internet a lot.
Ta.

___

Gragh. My lips are all cracky and nasty. I hate it when that happens. I can't put vaseline on them either as that makes my lips break out in spots <_<
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 27, 2010, 08:36:09 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 03:59:39 AM
I have finally bought a CSA flag to hang it on my wall.

Why hang that particular flag on the wall?

Not sure, but I have had the urge... :unsure: For one thing, it will look somewhat ying-yangish with my EU flag. Plus it is a homeage to my decentralization-preferance, and a joke no one but me understands, because the flag also represents the ignorant rightwingedness I am certainly very far from.

Tamas

Germans like to feel guilty about all their history? I still expect we'll see a public apology some time in the future for Lechfeld

Can't come soon, enough, frankly.  :mad:

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 12:59:32 PMand a joke no one but me understands, because the flag also represents the ignorant rightwingedness I am certainly very far from.

So that's the reason you're hanging it in your wall, to show how far you're from it, right.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2010, 01:11:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 12:59:32 PMand a joke no one but me understands, because the flag also represents the ignorant rightwingedness I am certainly very far from.

So that's the reason you're hanging it in your wall, to show how far you're from it, right.

I told it was an inside joke :P

But also, in my mind it is a kind of universal symbol of rural bum-ism which has been strongly present where I live, so that is one of the layers why I wanted it. :P Who knows I may grow tired of it quickly. But right now, I want it on my wall.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 01:19:03 PM
rural bum-ism which has been strongly present where I live

Use the Hungarian flag instead. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2010, 01:19:03 PM
rural bum-ism which has been strongly present where I live

Use the Hungarian flag instead. :P

:mad: :lol:

it lacks all those other layers, and any kind of exotic nature :P