News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

And another gem from the Thousand and One Nights:

Now the incense in question was the excrement of the Chief Patriarch, which was sought for with such instance and so highly valued, that the high priests of the Greeks used to mix it with musk and ambergris and send it to all the countries of the Christians in silken sachets; and kings would pay a thousand dinars for every drachm of it, for they sought it to perfume brides withal and the chief of them were wont to use a little of it in ointment for the eyes and as a remedy in sickness and colic. But the priests used to mix their own excrement with it, for that the excrement of the Chief Patriarch could not suffice for half a score countries

:pope: :pope: :pope:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Important Information Regarding your U-verse service
We hope you are enjoying your U-verse service. We wanted to make you aware that as of March 29, 2010; Fox Reality (channel 130) will end operations and will no longer be available. In addition to this change we are launching the National Geographic Wild channel on March 29, 2010.

Darn.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Korea

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 25, 2010, 03:29:23 PM
Gmail option I just found: 

Mail Goggles
by Jon P

Google strives to make the world's information useful. Mail you send late night on the weekends may be useful but you may regret it the next morning. Solve some simple math problems and you're good to go. Otherwise, get a good night's sleep and try again in the morning. After enabling this feature, you can adjust the schedule in the "General" settings page.

Could save a lot of embarrassing moments  :P

I was just reading an article about that. Apparently it doesn't work all that well.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1849897,00.html
I want my mother fucking points!

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2010, 03:41:14 PM
And another gem from the Thousand and One Nights:

Now the incense in question was the excrement of the Chief Patriarch, which was sought for with such instance and so highly valued, that the high priests of the Greeks used to mix it with musk and ambergris and send it to all the countries of the Christians in silken sachets; and kings would pay a thousand dinars for every drachm of it, for they sought it to perfume brides withal and the chief of them were wont to use a little of it in ointment for the eyes and as a remedy in sickness and colic. But the priests used to mix their own excrement with it, for that the excrement of the Chief Patriarch could not suffice for half a score countries

:pope: :pope: :pope:

:lmfao:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Half naked drunken bacon cooking FTW
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2010, 08:38:01 PM
Half naked drunken bacon cooking FTW
All the ingredients for a truly horrifying grease fire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

Syt

I hate no one except myself. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Korea

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Apparently there's a march today in Berlin commemorating the 125th anniversary of the end of the Berlin Conference 1884/5 which carved up the colonial spheres in Africa.

The marchers call for a memorial in Berlin that condemns colonialism, slavery, and racist violence. They also intend to raise awareness of Germany's blood stained colonial history (pre-1933 Germany is not present in most people's minds except in the broadest of terms).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

I have finally bought a CSA flag to hang it on my wall.