News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 29, 2009, 04:23:40 AM
Prepositions suck. There's too many of them, different ones are used in sentences with only very slightly different meanings, and it's really hard to clearly explain why one should use one preposition in a sentence over another.

Take that back. They're the best part of speech!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

They have similar questions on the English tests here, too. I thought they might be way too hard, too, but I guess the students really study how to do those questions. The HS textbook also has stuff on things like the Civil Rights Movement and Martin Luther King, Jr. My guess is that the students spend a lot of time just sitting and translating the text for homework.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 04:55:00 AM
Prepositions suck. There's too many of them, different ones are used in sentences with only very slightly different meanings, and it's really hard to clearly explain why one should use one preposition in a sentence over another.

Never! Conjunctions 4 life.  :mad:
"Conjunction junction, what's your function?"

Syt

How to turn around a 41-17 Football game with 3 minutes left on the clock ... and lose, anyways. :lol:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1727715
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 29, 2009, 04:56:48 AM
Never! Conjunctions 4 life.  :mad:
"Conjunction junction, what's your function?"

Cliche.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 04:55:00 AM

I love me some pronouns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

I just bought a $325 coat on sale for $25. The store wasn't going out of business or anything, they just had some coats on sale for dirt cheap. I don't have any clue why; maybe it's a Chinese knockoff, but then I bought it at an actual store, not some street vendor in Namdaemun.

Josquius

$300 off is too freakishly good....
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 02:33:16 AM
Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 01:04:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 12:53:13 AM
Was looking for a bottle of wine in my cupboard (no wine left. :weep:) and found an unknown bottle of Bailey's! :w00t:

Is that beer?

Yes.

A cream ale?

Syt

Frontier League baseball team Normal CornBelters. Wonderfully indifferent logo. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 30, 2009, 04:21:42 AM
I just bought a $325 coat on sale for $25. The store wasn't going out of business or anything, they just had some coats on sale for dirt cheap. I don't have any clue why; maybe it's a Chinese knockoff, but then I bought it at an actual store, not some street vendor in Namdaemun.

You will know why when the spider eggs hatch.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Great. Now I'm getting spam in Italian.

QuoteSignore e Signori:
     - Siamo lieti di informarvi su di noi, noi siamo un'azienda all'ingrosso in Cina. Sito principalmente nella vendita di prodotti elettronici, come ad esempio fotocamere digitali, telefoni cellulari, TV LCD, xbox, Laptops, DV, MP3 e lettori multimediali, GPS, e così via.
     - Può essere trovati all'indirizzo: www.wmtxz.com
     - Tutti gli articoli sono nuova casella con accessori originali, imballaggi, manuali, scheda di registrazione, numero di serie e potrete godere di un intervento di 24 mesi di garanzia ......

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

They seem to be launching Dr.Pepper in Sween :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2009, 02:35:07 PM

Do they have Pepsi yet? :P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars

QuoteLittle Wars was written by H. G. Wells in 1913 and is a set of rules for playing with toy soldiers. Its full title is Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books.
:lol:
I've heard of the game before but didn't know that awesome title.

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2009, 03:24:14 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2009, 02:35:07 PM

Do they have Pepsi yet? :P
Yep.
No Irn Bru though. Or in other 'worldwide things strangely absent' no KFC.
██████
██████
██████