News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2024, 12:09:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 09, 2024, 08:30:14 AMAnd I didn't say she has no talent. Merely there's far more talented people out there who aren't half as famous. :contract:
Who are some musicians who are far more talented but aren't half as famous, Jos?

Music is just a funny business to be in.

We're friends with a local musician in Edmonton.  He's been in the music biz for something like 20 years.  He was even a semi-finalist in Canadian Idol back in the mid-2000s.  Writes all his own music, indie releases a bunch of music.  I'm not going to say he's more talented than Taylor Swift, but he's very talented.  And he's hard-working enough to be able to make a living as a full-time musician - but he has no deal with a major record label, would be entirely unknown outside of Edmonton (and only slightly known in Edmonton).

I'm sure we can all think of people who were luck enough to get connected to one hit song and became world famous despite fairly middling talents.

I just don't think that describes Taylor Swift at all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2024, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2024, 12:09:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 09, 2024, 08:30:14 AMAnd I didn't say she has no talent. Merely there's far more talented people out there who aren't half as famous. :contract:
Who are some musicians who are far more talented but aren't half as famous, Jos?

Music is just a funny business to be in.

We're friends with a local musician in Edmonton.  He's been in the music biz for something like 20 years.  He was even a semi-finalist in Canadian Idol back in the mid-2000s.  Writes all his own music, indie releases a bunch of music.  I'm not going to say he's more talented than Taylor Swift, but he's very talented.  And he's hard-working enough to be able to make a living as a full-time musician - but he has no deal with a major record label, would be entirely unknown outside of Edmonton (and only slightly known in Edmonton).

I'm sure we can all think of people who were luck enough to get connected to one hit song and became world famous despite fairly middling talents.

I just don't think that describes Taylor Swift at all.

Yeah, Jos could have picked others who fit his description, but he decided to direct his angst at one of the hardest working and most productive artists of her generation.

garbon

I think the issue with Taylor Swift is fans always point her out as the second coming of something and you are like that basic sounding singer? Like them gagging for all of her re-recorded albums. Showing up at NFL games with signs saying they are only there for Taylor.

Good on her for figuring out a way to make all that money. Though she also has crossed my billion dollar threshold. :insert non existent pitchfork and torch emjoi:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Fans is short for fanatics after all...

HVC

I want to see a rumble between Beyoncé fans and Taylor fans. That'd be entertaining.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2024, 01:56:48 PMI want to see a rumble between Beyoncé fans and Taylor fans. That'd be entertaining.

Charles Barkley is a big (in every sense of that word) Beyonce fan, so my money is definitely on them.

HVC

Wonder if Shaq is a swifty :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2024, 09:21:23 AMThey have talent, just not in a particular genre you like. That's the difference. Now if you said Dane Cook or something I'd understand. Flash in the pan that flamed out quickly.

Isn't that saying the same thing?

Dane Cook didn't have enough talent either and because of reasons, he's disappeared and yet we still have to contend with Joe Rogan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Joe Rogan is actually a good comedian, but his skills lie in his podcast. That's what made him famous. He did news radio, and fear factor.  But he was b list at most until the podcast thing. I mean I have a tough time watching him because he's a conspiracy nut, so I don't, but that is a talent.

I think people are confusing talent with having talent in what they like :D

Caliga

I've seen Taylor Swift in concert, and I thought she was amazing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2024, 02:29:14 PMI've seen Taylor Swift in concert, and I thought she was amazing.

Stans gonna stan stan stan stan stan.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2024, 02:29:14 PMI've seen Taylor Swift in concert, and I thought she was amazing.

But you voluntarily moved to M'boro and Kentucky. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2024, 03:21:52 PMBut you voluntarily moved to M'boro and Kentucky. :o
Hey, I admit, one of those may have been a mistake.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 09, 2024, 08:21:53 AMIf she has no talent, what is the explanation for her having so many fans for so long?
Good marketing, good manager, good looks, good health.  Mostly, she seems serious though.  She avoided going on a drug binge and she hasn't struggled with mental health issues.

Talent, she has no more, no less than the average pop star in the last 20 years, I think.  Does she write all her songs or someone else write for her?  Most pop stars have people writing their songs.  She certainly wrote a few personal ones, but I'm not sure she wrote all of them + the music.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2024, 02:23:10 PMJoe Rogan is actually a good comedian, but his skills lie in his podcast. That's what made him famous. He did news radio, and fear factor.  But he was b list at most until the podcast thing. I mean I have a tough time watching him because he's a conspiracy nut, so I don't, but that is a talent.

I think people are confusing talent with having talent in what they like :D

Yes. But you also equal talent with being good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.