News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2022, 09:23:05 PM
Huh, never heard of Jewish folk dancing.

Most folk dance.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2022, 09:49:31 PM

Most folk dance.  :hmm:

I grew up in very multicultural schools so there were always Irish, polish, Ukrainian, etc dance clubs. They'd preform and talent shows and the like. Plus Portuguese people have a bunch. Each little village has its own songs and dances. Family used to go a club formed from people from my moms village (although now I guess it's more of a town) and they'd do their folk dancing. Cousin was part of the troop.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/rVUAXyz1cig

Some of the music is actually catchy, but the weirdly nasally sound of the women singing I always found irritating/ Naggy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Going through a weird YouTube nostalgia trip lol.

Here an example of the nasally singing.

https://youtu.be/mRP1P6grJko

The Larch

Your mom is from Nazaré?

HVC

Malthus

Check out this version, from Fiddler on the Roof:

https://youtu.be/kHRe9qdfLsw

(In reality ... the actual dancing is not so well choreographed, and not with bottles)

Actually, the Jewish folk dance groups tend to be pretty multicultural, doing various sorts of dancing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

I actually like that film a lot, but I just figured it was movie choreography :D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2022, 09:21:56 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 19, 2022, 07:38:27 PM
A bitter, sour sort who went folk dancing?  :hmm:

Two things elderly Jewish women all appear to do, or at least, my mother's friends and relations: folk dance, and play mahjong, gambling for small stakes. Somehow, these two activities are universal.

The funny part is that mahjong was originally a Chinese game. For some reason it was adopted wholesale by Jewish women (I've never heard of a man playing it).

My grandfather used to really enjoy the mah jong solitaire game on the computer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2022, 10:30:40 PM
Yup. From the Praia

I've been around there several times, even spending a couple of summers around the area when I was a kid. The waves at the beach terrified me when I was small.  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2022, 10:43:11 PM
I actually like that film a lot, but I just figured it was movie choreography :D

Heh the bottle dance was originally an invention of the filmmakers I think - though energetic wedding dances have always been a feature of Jewish dancing. Oddly, because of the movie, the bottle dance has become a part of Jewish folk dancing! 😄

Common Jewish folk dances now include Israeli dances like the horah.

https://youtu.be/pGTho2a9t9k
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on February 20, 2022, 07:04:31 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2022, 10:30:40 PM
Yup. From the Praia

I've been around there several times, even spending a couple of summers around the area when I was a kid. The waves at the beach terrified me when I was small.  :lol:

Yeah they sometimes come out of nowhere. North beach is especially insane, but only surfers are crazy enough to go there.

Malthus

I remember seeing some extreme surfing video that was supposed to be filmed somewhere on the Portuguese coast - the waves were insanely high, and the sport looked practically suicidal! Though they had guys on jet skis to place them and stuff, I don't see what could save you if one of those waves crashed on top of you.

HVC

That's more then likely Nazare. The north beach is known for two things. Insane waves and a nude beach haha.

*edit* Nazare itself is quite beautiful, traditionally known for it church and "rustic" appeal wear women wore the traditional dress, men still fished in their old Phoenician inspired boats.  That still happens but basically for tourists now. It's changed a lot since I was a kid. Given are the cobble stone roads and there are new buildings. Used to go every summer as a little kid (might have crossed paths with the larch :D).  Haven't been back in 17 years though.

The Larch

That's in the area around Peniche (relatively close to Nazaré), I think. There's a geographical oddity in the sea floor there that regularly produces humongously tall (20+ meters) waves that crazy surfers (mostly Australian) really love.

Edit: just did some research and I was wrong, it is indeed in Nazaré itself that the big waves happen, in the North Beach itself.