News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2022, 06:15:01 PM
There's something joyful about people being enthusiastic about things like this :)
Yeah - UK Tik Tok has a really prominent train watcher and I think it started as possibly mocking/taking the piss but has transformed into popularity and affection beecause it's basically just a guy being really enthusiastic and excitable about his hobby. And there's something really nice/heart-warming about that.

Especially after the trainspotting guy was kind of doxed as a former model and "normal" teenager so, it was implied, not a real trainspotter but a con artist. He did a video of with footage of him trainspotting and building model trains with his dad when he was a kid and saying it was something he really loved and then repressed as a teenager to fit in, but got back into both as Tik Tok thing but just during lockdown. I'm sure all of us had something like that and it's really sad when you tamp down those enthusiasms that every kid has.

It's a bit like that - I won't necessarily get why someone's so excited about a Class 43 HST or an A380 - but I can get really behind their excitement. Especially when it's matched with something that is obviously super-impressive (and sligthly terrifying/nauseating) like pilots landing planes in high winds.

Edit: And it is just quite funny that at its peak I think he had about 300k people watching - which is more than two and half times the most watched program GB News have ever put out. So I think GB News should now be replaced with Big Jet TV.

Separately economists continue to ponder why the UK has such low productivity :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2022, 03:16:07 PM
I don't think I've ever eaten an artichoke.

They're lovely.  Eating them requires a bit of technique though.  Heart of palm is similar and not as much work.

Malthus

Heard a really amazing bit of gossip from my parents today. Apparently, it had the elderly Jewish population of the Forest Hill neighborhood of Toronto all abuzz.

A very elderly Jewish lady recently died (at the advanced age of 105). She was a wealthy woman, what they used to call a "spinster", and described charitably as "formidable". The Temple ran an "in memorium" website where mourners can write comments - most were of the usual type, but one was very different.

It started out "Cecilia was a woman of many secrets, and I was one." Went on to explain that the writer was the natural son of this woman, who was adopted as a newborn - and he wasn't the only one: he found out through 23 & Me that he had a full sister, 12 years older, also adopted - they have the same father. The two did some research, and found out that their mother had an affair (at least 12 years) with a man she met in the 1940s - who worked in a stable.

The amazing thing is that she was able to conceal two pregnancies. Apparently, no-one knew. (My mother added that the really amazing thing was that this woman had an affair - apparently, she was the last person you would expect of having any such feelings for anyone, and "bone ugly" - her words).

The kids approached their biological mother when they found out (their dad was long dead). However, she wanted nothing to do with them, and refused to say if there were any other siblings out there. So the son wrote on the in memorium page, hoping to find other siblings, if any.

Apparently, some moderator took this posting down, but not before someone took a screenshot, and so everyone in the community heard about it.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

So are the kids going to be rich now?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2022, 10:42:51 PM
So are the kids going to be rich now?

I get the impression they already were well off - both were adopted by other wealthy Jewish families.

No idea who will inherit the old lady's cash. I doubt it will be them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

She sounds like the kind of person who would've written a will.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2022, 07:23:24 AM
What a horrid woman.

You don't know her circumstances. It could have been intensely painful to her to see these children. It could be that it wasn't an affair, but rather rape.

Don't judge what you don't know.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

To me, it's interesting how these genetic testing services are actually uncovering old secrets like that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2022, 09:01:26 AM
To me, it's interesting how these genetic testing services are actually uncovering old secrets like that.
There's a lot of secrets to uncover. There's a whole trend on Tik Tok, for example, of young Americans discovering that x grand parent chose to pass as white. I feel like that side of things is only going to increase as more people do these tests.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I found about a secret turkish cousin when a family member used a kit.

On the other side of my family a secret daughter showed up and got a third of the inheritance.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Fancied having a new wool blanket, looked on line, when did they get expensive?

I think the price range is between £30-60 per square meter.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: merithyn on February 19, 2022, 08:30:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2022, 07:23:24 AM
What a horrid woman.

You don't know her circumstances. It could have been intensely painful to her to see these children. It could be that it wasn't an affair, but rather rape.

Don't judge what you don't know.

And the children?
Their whole lives wondering who their mother is, they finally track her down and all they get is a fuck off?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Picture from a meal at the Munich Security Conference.

This forced diversity everywhere these days is completely out of control!  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Hey, they've got some with hair and some without.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?