News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on December 15, 2021, 08:23:02 AM
It is legal to hunt here with a bow...I've been contemplating getting a bow and learning how to clean a deer and then we would have no more meat expenses. But my wife is not on board.

Venison won't replace all your meat needs.  In fact, you have to like venison a lot (and have a huge freezer) to make the cleaning and slaughtering worthwhile (oh, and a strong stomach is also required).  If you have friends who hunt, you can probably get all the venison sausage (the only venison product worth consuming, IMO) you want for free.

It will mean that you will save on dog food expenses for quite a while.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I was worried the deer might be sick/dying, but it was gone this morning. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2021, 09:15:05 AM
Venison won't replace all your meat needs.  In fact, you have to like venison a lot (and have a huge freezer) to make the cleaning and slaughtering worthwhile (oh, and a strong stomach is also required).  If you have friends who hunt, you can probably get all the venison sausage (the only venison product worth consuming, IMO) you want for free.
Ground venison also works well in ragus... an Italian friend of mine used to use it in bolognese sauce and some cream-based sauce.  But yeah, venison steaks and big cuts of it taste bad, at least to me.  My grandfather hunted a lot and every time we went over I dreaded we were going to be served venison.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2021, 12:31:26 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2021, 09:15:05 AM
Ground venison also works well in ragus... an Italian friend of mine used to use it in bolognese sauce and some cream-based sauce.  But yeah, venison steaks and big cuts of it taste bad, at least to me.  My grandfather hunted a lot and every time we went over I dreaded we were going to be served venison.

Moose meat is where it's at for wild game. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I've seen videos on Youtube where someone marinates beef steaks in pineapple juice, and it's such a potent tenderizer that it can actually turn steak into mush if you leave it on for too long.  I wonder if that's a way to make tough or gamey cuts of meat at least edible.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I've  had a venison stew that  I thought tasted pretty good.  My brother in law gave me some venison sausage that I thought tasted kind of funky.

My first college girlfriend was from waaay upstate New York and she pronounced it venzon.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2021, 12:44:25 PM
Boar is nice. :mmm:

It is indeed. Apparently it is also a true bitch to properly prepare. The father of a friend of mine is a hunter and we once had a group meal to feast on a boar he had hunted several months prior because they really needed the space in the freezer.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2021, 12:42:28 PM
I've seen videos on Youtube where someone marinates beef steaks in pineapple juice, and it's such a potent tenderizer that it can actually turn steak into mush if you leave it on for too long.  I wonder if that's a way to make tough or gamey cuts of meat at least edible.

Problem with venison isn't so much the toughness (though it can be tough) - it's the gaminess.

Which sure can be masked with a heavy marinade, but that just takes time and then all you're tasting is the marinade, not the meat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2021, 01:26:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2021, 12:44:25 PM
Boar is nice. :mmm:

It is indeed. Apparently it is also a true bitch to properly prepare. The father of a friend of mine is a hunter and we once had a group meal to feast on a boar he had hunted several months prior because they really needed the space in the freezer.

:mmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I've not had game for ages. Reindeer is lovely.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

the hunters i know make jerky. With the exception of the back strap, which apparently is less gamey. Never had venison steak, but deer jerky is awesome.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I like venison a lot (and it is our duty to eat it whenever we can at the minute), but it is gamey and rich so not an everyday food.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2021, 03:34:14 PM
I've not had game for ages. Reindeer is lovely.

Reindeer is very good - it is a lot like well marbled beef.   Nothing like Venison, which is horrid stuff.