News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Flying being quicker than train makes sense.

But when the bus is quicker than the train something is very wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

We have better highways than railroads.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Saw a post: GTA Vice City released in 2002 and was set in 1986. That's like releasing a game this year and setting it in 2005.  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

2005 is so bland though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

RIP Generations.
Killed by the internet age.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Look what Youtube recommendations brought up for me  :D

https://youtu.be/H-DF8nzcjlM?t=51

I am TRIGGERED

Sheilbh

:lol:

Thought this was an interesting thought (basically on the back of the latest listening figures for radio in the UK):
QuoteDuncan Weldon
@DuncanWeldon
I hadn't thought about this before...
But I am pretty sure I listen to more live radio than I watch live TV nowadays.
And that's been the case since, I don't know, 2016 or so?
Is this typical? If so that's a big shift... back to the 1960s?

Definitely true for me - I stream everything. I think except for football there's nothing I watch that's on the TV schedule, while I will listen to Radio 3, 4, 6 etc for at least a few hours a week. Which seems very weird - at least to me as a child of the 80s and 90s.

Similarly his point that he suspects the big generational difference he has with his kids is the relative lack of boredom. Explaining that there were spaces of time when there was nothing for you to do, which is gone now. There's always streaming, podcasts, social media, radio from anywhere in the world etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yes. Though kind of surprised its the case for you - for me it holds true due to clock radio in the morning and most importantly radio in the car.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 28, 2021, 01:10:25 AM
2005 is so bland though.

I don't think it's exactly bland, but...

When they set Vice City in the 80s, that meant it had a very definite set of music, a definite look to the vehicles, even a certain aesthetic for the clothes.  WHen they set San Andreas in the 90s the same thing.

But if you set a game in 2005?  I feel like the music, vehicles and clothes of that era could easily exist in 2021.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2021, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 28, 2021, 01:10:25 AM
2005 is so bland though.

When they set Vice City in the 80s, that meant it had a very definite set of music, a definite look to the vehicles, even a certain aesthetic for the clothes.  WHen they set San Andreas in the 90s the same thing.

But if you set a game in 2005?  I feel like the music, vehicles and clothes of that era could easily exist in 2021.
I think the only real defining feature of that era, as seen in better call Saul, is its pre smartphone with a super primitive Internet.
If you want a modern setting hut with that complication stripped out of something then that's where to go.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2021, 10:58:42 AM
Yes. Though kind of surprised its the case for you - for me it holds true due to clock radio in the morning and most importantly radio in the car.
With radio I pop it on when I'm "pottering" so - cleaning, cooking etc. I don't need to even pay the level of attention I would to a podcast.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2021, 11:08:24 AMBut if you set a game in 2005?  I feel like the music, vehicles and clothes of that era could easily exist in 2021.

It depends. The fact that they might exist doesn't mean that it can't be dated. And some fashionable things of the era are certainly super dated by now. Frosted tips? Tribal tattoos? Cargo shorts? Low cut jeans in women (with the thong sticking out, optionally)?

Syt

Most people at the time porbably wouldn't have flat screen TVs or computer screens, either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2021, 11:08:24 AM

I don't agree on 2005 - but I think about 2008 to now is broadly a relatively coherent aesthetic that doesn't seem to be changing much (yet). I basically think pre-iPhone there were sub-cultures everywhere, every country was a sub-culture and there were more distinctive looks and styles while post-iPhone I think we've stopped evolving aesthetically.

It's why I keep cheering on people pushing for a chintz or a pomo revival because I'm desparate for something to break it open again.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2021, 11:32:16 AM
Most people at the time porbably wouldn't have flat screen TVs or computer screens, either.

And mobile phones would still be in the "the smaller, the better" pre-smartphone phase.