News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2021, 11:38:46 AMAnd mobile phones would still be in the "the smaller, the better" pre-smartphone phase.

I'm still in that phase :ph34r:

I update my phone every so often but always go for the smallest new iPhone I can get and luckily Apple have realised there is a market for smallish phones.

I have an Android phone with work that is massive and I hate it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Nothing after 2000 seems distinct to me.  It just all mashes together.  Well, except for the last two years.  That's just unremitting horror.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2021, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2021, 11:38:46 AMAnd mobile phones would still be in the "the smaller, the better" pre-smartphone phase.

I update my phone every so often but always go for the smallest new iPhone I can get and luckily Apple have realised there is a market for smallish phones.

So retro.  :P You don't use it much for visual stuff, right?

Syt

Other stuff you still did in 2005: buy physical media, and rent it from video stores. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
:lol: We're a small but demanding community if you search for "small iphone".

No. I don't watch anything on my phone. I use it for social media, internet, podcasts, radio etc. I think my basic criteria is that I should never have to use two hands to do basic things I need to do on a phone like type - it really annoys me, I think it's demanding too much attention.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2021, 12:09:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
:lol: We're a small but demanding community if you search for "small iphone".

No. I don't watch anything on my phone. I use it for social media, internet, podcasts, radio etc. I think my basic criteria is that I should never have to use two hands to do basic things I need to do on a phone like type - it really annoys me, I think it's demanding too much attention.

I have a pretty massive phone & I agree with you. I don't like doing anything on my phone that requires me to hold it in landscape mode. In pre-pandemic times I used it a lot to watch Netflix/Disney+ but not so much nowadays.

On the subject of child boredom, it still exists but it has to be manufactured. Gone are the days where parents could ignore their children for hours on end & find them doing something that came from their imagination. Personally, I don't let my children have limitless screen time. They find themselves bored & having to come up with something to do regularly.

My son plays sports or with remote cars. My daughter does art.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 28, 2021, 12:18:52 PM
On the subject of child boredom, it still exists but it has to be manufactured. Gone are the days where parents could ignore their children for hours on end & find them doing something that came from their imagination. Personally, I don't let my children have limitless screen time. They find themselves bored & having to come up with something to do regularly.

Sounds way less productive than having them work in the mill for a 14 hour shift...you are slacking as a parent.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

There no mills job available.

It's an ongoing concern, yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 28, 2021, 12:18:52 PM

Yeah - it makes sense that you need to manufacture it and that is probably a good idea.

The example he gave which was something I had a lot as a kid of the bus is going to be 20 minutes and you've not got a book. You will sit at the bus stop with nothing to do. Or when you're off school sick and there's nothing suitable for kids on TV (it's all boring daytime shows until 3.30). Or the carnage if you were made to miss an episode in a TV series.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I don't think I've ever picked to listen to the radio since coming to England. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2021, 11:41:44 AM

I got the Samsung Fold 3, so both smaller and larger.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2021, 04:40:58 PM
Flying being quicker than train makes sense.

But when the bus is quicker than the train something is very wrong.

Where they exist, local train service in Canada is much faster than the bus.  The trouble for trains are the long haul routes.  Priority is always given to freight.  Nobody travels long distance by train.  It is really just a tourist venture.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2021, 12:04:31 PM
Other stuff you still did in 2005: buy physical media, and rent it from video stores. :P

I still buy some physical media and now that the big phone makers have scrapped the headphone jack I even have a dedicated portable music player.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

NSFW potentially. But may I just say I believe I've found a new entry in my top 10 coats of arms

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalziel
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2021, 01:14:03 PM
I don't think I've ever picked to listen to the radio since coming to England. :mellow:

:wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"