News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Middle school is when max obnoxiousness is reached.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 26, 2021, 09:05:27 PM
Middle school is when max obnoxiousness is reached.

True, but also the ages when students are most malleable and teaching them most rewarding.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

View from Greenwich Park, 1980 vs 2020.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Apparently custom building your own keyboard is a thing now?
Did anyone know this?
I don't get it.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2021, 12:18:01 AM
View from Greenwich Park, 1980 vs 2020.

Yes lots of development has been done in Canary Wharf and the wider London Docklands.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

My hometown's mayor has been ousted after being involved in the Pandora papers scandal.

The previous mayor was ousted after being caught breaking Covid curfew driving drunk to a booty call, and he bit one of the officers.

My town has leadership issues.

Grey Fox

Quote from: ulmont on October 26, 2021, 08:24:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 26, 2021, 07:00:42 PM
Interesting, so entire schools for 3 years. 🤔

I mean, the kids are in school for 12 years and you have to put them somewhere each year, so how you divide them is at least partially arbitrary?

The high school I went to only had grades 10-12 (16-18ish), so there's another entire school for 3 years, but it was full the whole time so it's not like it was a smaller school than you would have had for grades 9-12...

Yeah. Thinking about it, we do the same thing here. They are named differently so it wasn't that apparent.

Primary School - 1 thru 6 (Age 6 to 11)
Secondary School - 1 thru 5 (Age 12 to 16)

In my school board, they are separated secondary 1-2 and 3-5 in different buildings/schools.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Very cool:
https://direkt.bahn.guru/

Type in a train station in Europe and see where you can get direct trains to. This is also genuinely little bit useful - though I'll spend most of my afternoon dedicated to working out where all the central London stations go (what is a Marylebone?) :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Demonstrates how terrible the British system is really.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2021, 07:24:58 AM
Very cool:

Type in a train station in Europe and see where you can get direct trains to. This is also genuinely little bit useful - though I'll spend most of my afternoon dedicated to working out where all the central London stations go (what is a Marylebone?) :blush:

Irún-Hendaye is still tricky to figure out for the system, so they are separated despite some trains linking both.

garbon

What does the pop noting like 1:21 h mean?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2021, 07:57:15 AM

That it takes 1 hour 21 minutes to reach that place?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2021, 07:58:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2021, 07:57:15 AM

That it takes 1 hour 21 minutes to reach that place?

Which can't be correct. Not that far from say Gatwick Airport to Horley which is 1:02

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 27, 2021, 07:55:05 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2021, 07:24:58 AM
Very cool:

Irún-Hendaye is still tricky to figure out for the system, so they are separated despite some trains linking both.

Yeah, I think some connections are messed up, I don't think I've seen the Madrid - Lisbon connection represented on it. Except the Vigo - Porto line it's as if there were no connections between Spain and Portugal.