News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on July 16, 2021, 05:05:51 AM
Does anyone else have this mental block that say 5 years before you were born is the distant unreachable past whilst 20+ years ago is not thaaat long ago?

I still think the Vietnam war was not that long ago.  But as my sons take great joy in pointing out, it is as distant for them as WWII was for me.

Syt

Anyone recognize this 1980s Wall Street Broker or reporter at the Daily Planet? :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

beardless George Lucas?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

HVC

don't know if its he expression, but beardless lucas has a punchable face
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on July 16, 2021, 11:02:33 AM
don't know if its he expression, but beardless lucas has a punchable face

It's the tie, imho.

Syt

He does look pretty dorky without the beard. And seeing him in suit and tie is also weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

So been listening to a few podcasts that are political/cultural or both - and almost all of them position themselves as the intersection of left politics and whatever cultural form they're talking about.

But they all mainly seem to primarily be look at various things through theory - and I'm not sure the venn of theory and left politics is nearly as total as they think. I feel like this reflects a wider trend in left politics in general (perhaps because of the wider shift of education and left-wing politics coinciding) - and I'm not sure it's a healthy one to mistake good or interesting theory for politics (plus the wider obsession with "analysis") :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

So, the legalized bagman process has begun.  Two Texas A&M football players are being paid $10,000 each by an A&M booster company to appear in an interview under the new NIL rules for the NCAA. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2021/07/17/texas-am-football-players-making-10-k-interviews-nil-deal/8005537002/

In a way, it is nice to see the booster money going to the players rather than to a ludicrous new locker room or an equally ludicrous head coach salary, but I can't help thinking that this is the end of big-money college sports as we know it.  Players aren't going to be playing for the team, they are going to be playing to collect the cash, and if team A won't feature them so that they can command the cash, they will transfer to a team B that promises that it will (but really won't).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2021, 07:58:38 PM

In a way, it is nice to see the booster money going to the players rather than to a ludicrous new locker room or an equally ludicrous head coach salary, but I can't help thinking that this is the end of big-money college sports as we know it.  Players aren't going to be playing for the team, they are going to be playing to collect the cash, and if team A won't feature them so that they can command the cash, they will transfer to a team B that promises that it will (but really won't).

They don't even need to be featured. A booster can offer $1 million over 4 years to have any five star recruit that is on the roster to sponsor (whatever). Seems like it would help the program a lot more than other donations.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2021, 07:58:38 PM
So, the legalized bagman process has begun.  Two Texas A&M football players are being paid $10,000 each by an A&M booster company to appear in an interview under the new NIL rules for the NCAA. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2021/07/17/texas-am-football-players-making-10-k-interviews-nil-deal/8005537002/

A Miami booster was already offering the whole team $600 a month:
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/09/miami-hurricane-players-offered-nil-deal-head-american-top-team/7919591002/

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 18, 2021, 12:46:48 PM
So been listening to a few podcasts that are political/cultural or both - and almost all of them position themselves as the intersection of left politics and whatever cultural form they're talking about.

But they all mainly seem to primarily be look at various things through theory - and I'm not sure the venn of theory and left politics is nearly as total as they think. I feel like this reflects a wider trend in left politics in general (perhaps because of the wider shift of education and left-wing politics coinciding) - and I'm not sure it's a healthy one to mistake good or interesting theory for politics (plus the wider obsession with "analysis") :hmm:

Either you give us some practical example of this or it is going to be way too esoteric and obscure for anyone to reply to you.

Eddie Teach

I think it's the old complaint that the left would rather be right than win.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Prince Harry is releasing a memoir - I mention this only because his statement about it includes the line "I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively" and I, for one, am very much hoping for more details about his literal hat wearing :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!