News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2021, 10:53:32 AM

Bezo's trip wasn't a one-off.  There are two more Blue Origin space tourism launches scheduled for this year, and multiple launches per year for the foreseeable future.

Ok that's bad. Regardless of actual carbon output, it's not the kind of example highly influential people should be setting.

Sheilbh

Not convinced we should be pulling 15,000 year old viruses from Tibetan glaciers rn :ph34r:
https://gizmodo.com/15-000-year-old-viruses-were-pulled-from-a-tibetan-glac-1847335700
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I know a few gun owners so this is worrying.
But I did find it a bit interesting a story and worth some Americans seeing it. The whole guns for defence thing is just so utterly alien. You don't want to advertise you're armed at all.
BBC News - Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57932823
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2021, 05:49:29 PM
I know a few gun owners so this is worrying.
But I did find it a bit interesting a story and worth some Americans seeing it. The whole guns for defence thing is just so utterly alien. You don't want to advertise you're armed at all.
BBC News - Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57932823

A breach like that would be less concerning in the US, as gun ownership is more common. The worry is that crooks would be able to selectively target gun owners from the list in the UK, and that this would be worth their while because guns are scarce there.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Google's doodle today is pretty epic. An awesome anime and RPG.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Obsessed with this footage from - I'd guess 1990 or 91 - drinks reception at the G7:
https://twitter.com/BenABrittain/status/1418332360903315459?s=20

I think those dates because John Major's around and Ted Heath is talking about Saddam and Tariq Aziz. I feel like this could be used in future histories to demonstrate what "the West" or the world at the end of history was.

Also particularly striking is Ted Heath talking over the Queen because while she might be the Queen she is still a woman :bleeding: Although the Queen gets some revenge by saying Ted Heath can go to Baghdad because he's expendable (twice) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Yeah, talking over the Queen seems like a big no no. Though Lizzie seemed pretty chill and relaxed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Also God help that poor man trapped with Prince Charles :lol: :bleeding:

Edit: Gianni de Michelis apparently.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2021, 09:38:43 AM

Tony Hawk's portrait in the National Portrait Gallery (from 1999, shortly after he did the 900 in competition.)

This is the ultimate "Dad" picture  :lol:

Mom slaving away with the dishes and holding baby while dad is doing kickflips off the kitchen counter.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Those kickflips put food on the table!
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I like his Twitter stories of people kinda recognizing him but not really. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2021, 03:21:13 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 20, 2021, 07:21:34 PM
Jeff Bezos now confirmed as pre-eminent passenger of planet Earth.

I know its in fashion to disguise envy as moralist concern for inequality and hate on these on-paper super rich people, but if I had that much money I would also totally build my own space ship.

See Garbon's comment in reply to your post.

What I was actually getting at, seems to have been picked up by NASA:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57950149

QuoteIn a move that pours cold water on the dreams of a few billionaire space explorers, the US has tightened its definition of the word "astronaut".

New Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules say astronaut hopefuls must be part of the flight crew and make contributions to space flight safety.

That means Jeff Bezos and Sir Richard Branson may not yet be astronauts in the eyes of the US government.

These are the first changes since the FAA wings programme began in 2004.

The Commercial Astronaut Wings programme updates were announced on Tuesday - the same day that Amazon's Mr Bezos flew aboard a Blue Origin rocket to the edge of space.

To qualify as commercial astronauts, space-goers must travel 50 miles (80km) above the Earth's surface, which both Mr Bezos and Mr Branson accomplished.

But altitude aside, the agency says would-be astronauts must have also "demonstrated activities during flight that were essential to public safety, or contributed to human space flight safety".

What exactly counts as such is determined by FAA officials.

In a statement, the FAA said that these changes brought the wings scheme more in line with its role to protect public safety during commercial space flights.

:)

Hence my implied 'passengers, not crew' comment.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I'm sorta doubting that the US retroactive ruling will matter much to space tourism.  Virgin and Blue Origin will just give out their own astronaut pins, and no one will know that they differ from the US government's.  I mean, who on this forum has actually seen somebody wearing a NASA astronaut pin?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I had a plastic one when I was little!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Some asshole keeps breaking into my car.  This is the third time in two months! Fortunately, I have nothing worth stealing.  The burglar seems to have understood this too because he left me a note chiding me for wasting his time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017