And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on April 01, 2021, 08:35:22 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2021, 08:28:14 AM
i get dry countries and not taking off shoes, but isn't the UK wet? dirty shoes have to be the norm.

Dry shoes are also filthy. Take them off.
i'm thinking more like tracking in mud and snow.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

In Sweden you normally remove your shoes.

If it's a formal dinner/reception and it's summer and dry you don't, and if the weather is bad you bring along shoes for indoor use and switch to them. You don't go shoeless at a formal dinner.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Nobody takes their shoes off here, except some places in the countryside and among immigrants.
I usually take my shoes off at home, but not when visiting someone else. I think shoes are considered cleaner than socks, which is debatable of course.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on April 01, 2021, 08:51:33 AM
I think shoes are considered cleaner than socks, which is debatable of course.

What the hell do people do with their socks?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Leaving your shoes on in the house is barbaric. Jesus.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

I have indoor & outdoor shoes.

In the summer, unless I need to drive, I mainly go barefoot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

I usually take my shoes off at home, but not when visiting someone else. I think shoes are considered cleaner than socks, which is debatable of course.

Debatable, yes, and one side is demonstrably wrong.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

I am with Habs on this. Though obviously I'll just follow my host's cues to not cause offence - but judge them severely if they're making the wrong choice :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I find socks more disgusting than shoes, but I guess I'm culturally conditioned that way. Heck, I wear slippers at home so I don't walk around on socks.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2021, 08:53:44 AM
I think shoes are considered cleaner than socks, which is debatable of course.

What the hell do people do with their socks?

According to Hollywood?
Don't watch American Pie, if you don't really want to know.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 09:02:04 AM
I am with Habs on this. Though obviously I'll just follow my host's cues to not cause offence - but judge them severely if they're making the wrong choice :ph34r:

Yeah, following decorum is important here. I'm not about to take my shoes off if everyone in the host's family is wearing shoes, but ew. Ew.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2021, 09:03:17 AM

Unless you are an early 2000s teenager generally not a good idea anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2021, 09:04:45 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2021, 09:03:17 AM

Unless you are an early 2000s teenager generally not a good idea anyway.

Not a good idea, a really worse one, would be watching the sequels.

DGuller

Even if you use a sock for that, I would assume that you have them washed afterwards before you use them as a foot covering again, right? 

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2021, 09:09:56 AM
Even if you use a sock for that, I would assume that you have them washed afterwards before you use them as a foot covering again, right?

Nah, save money on shoe horns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017