News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

One of those "ways of dividing Europe" maps - is this true (green generally take shoes off/red generally keep shoes on):

It is in the UK - I generally take shoes off but I'm aware it's a bit weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, we keep them on over here.

Interesting German divide...

Sheilbh

Yeah - also a rare example of the UK and Ireland aligning with Catholic/Mediterranean Europe :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 06:48:42 AM
One of those "ways of dividing Europe" maps - is this true (green generally take shoes off/red generally keep shoes on):

It is in the UK - I generally take shoes off but I'm aware it's a bit weird.
People who keep their shoes on are weird. They're the exception rather than the norm.
I really question this.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Here in Canada, when I was growing up, shoes were generally kept on, and front doors generally left unlocked during the day.

Now, shoes are generally taken off, and front doors generally left locked during the day.

It is interesting to me, how in my particular circle, a bigger distinction is being made between inside and outside spaces.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Shoes are disgusting and should be taken off at the threshold or ASAP after entering a home.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Also, stupid question. Who makes those maps? How do you research the shoe-removal traiditions of each European and North African nation?  :lol:

Syt

Both in Germany (Schleswig-Holstein, green on map) and here in Vienna I've not been to places where you didn't take off your shoes coming in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

i get dry countries and not taking off shoes, but isn't the UK wet? dirty shoes have to be the norm.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2021, 08:21:56 AM
Also, stupid question. Who makes those maps? How do you research the shoe-removal traiditions of each European and North African nation?  :lol:

"Hey Christian, how are you doing, it was nice catching up at Susan's last year. Listen, quick question, doing an article here: do people in Denmark take their shoes off when they visit someone? Yes, great, thanks, bye!"

"Ok, Denmark is a green then".

Valmy

Taking your shoes off is something I associate with Japan. I had no idea Texas was such an outlier in western civilization by not removing our shoes all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

The same people who walked around the US asking people if they call soft drinks "soda", "pop", or "coke"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Shhhh. I find it best to not ask or question anything I see online :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Do you guys really not know how polls work?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2021, 08:28:14 AM
i get dry countries and not taking off shoes, but isn't the UK wet? dirty shoes have to be the norm.

Dry shoes are also filthy. Take them off.

-J. R. R. Tolkien