News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2020, 04:02:45 PM
Goddamit in and around Lincoln you can buy 3-4 bedroom detached houses for less than 300k. Does it really suck that much around there?
I mean I think the UK average price is under £250k :P

You just live in the stockbroker belt I think :console:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Goddamit in and around Lincoln you can buy 3-4 bedroom detached houses for less than 300k. Does it really suck that much around there?

That's pretty bad yeah. Really expensive.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2020, 04:08:42 PM
I mean I think the UK average price is under £250k :P

You just live in the stockbroker belt I think :console:

Yeah but what you get for the average price? :P

Around my parts, decent 2 bedroom flats come around 300-350k but these are the 2 "bedroom" sort of flats usually, with the "open plan" kitchen (i.e. there are kitchen utilities and furniture put in one corner of the small living room). It is thoroughly depressing.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 29, 2020, 04:13:35 PM

That's pretty bad yeah. Really expensive.

Oh shut up Newcastle boy. :P I am looking at properties fit for first world living. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2020, 04:15:02 PM

Around my parts, decent 2 bedroom flats come around 300-350k but these are the 2 "bedroom" sort of flats usually, with the "open plan" kitchen (i.e. there are kitchen utilities and furniture put in one corner of the small living room). It is thoroughly depressing.
:lol: A semi-detached house is the "average" property they measure I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2020, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2020, 04:15:02 PM

:lol: A semi-detached house is the "average" property they measure I think.

So I did a super-quick search on Indeed for the specific job that I have been doing in Lincoln. It found 1 opening, so I guess that's a disadvantage compared to the London orbit. It does pay as much as I earn now though. :P

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2020, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 29, 2020, 03:27:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2020, 03:13:00 PM
Can one of you English people explain to me the convoluted way you divide your country? I see ridings, counties, and shires. Which one is the real thing?

In my own example, it seems to go from; Nation (the UK), country (England), county (Lincolnshire), district/council (North Kesteven).  Though Lincoln I think is a "city" while essentially having the same function as a district/council.

But I wonder if some areas of England have different names for the same thing.

How are you finding the general Lincoln area?

I rather like it here.

It definitely meets my expectations of the "pastoral English countryside".  Cost of living seems fine...like you indicated, the housing costs seem very reasonable.  The housing allowance we Yanks get is very, very generous relative to those costs.  Our housing "dollar" here goes much, much farther than any equivalent in the states (in that, the quality size of residence I can afford here on our housing allowance is far and above what available to me in Anchorage, Alaska).  The people seem nice. 

If you lived much outside of Lincoln, you'd have to get used to queuing up behind tractors on your commute.  :P

Tonitrus

Also, on homes...the barn conversions you can often find out here are really cool, I think.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2020, 08:39:18 AM
Let's keep the House of Lords permanently wfh:
https://twitter.com/richard_kaputt/status/1288205366447222786?s=21

Scroll down and read the Roger Moore story.  It's worth it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2020, 06:58:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2020, 08:39:18 AM
Let's keep the House of Lords permanently wfh:
https://twitter.com/richard_kaputt/status/1288205366447222786?s=21

Scroll down and read the Roger Moore story.  It's worth it.

That was an awesome story - what an amazing guy he was! Very classy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Also the reporter's commnts are so true on the quality of backdrops by the Lords being so much better than the Commons. Eg:

The Lords have - by some distance - had the best Zoom moments. In fact I understand "welcome cat!" is now in Hansard :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Decorating zoom backdrops could be one of those "Jobs of the future that cannot be conceived by people of the past"
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Sheilbh

I feel like what's happening in Belarus is important. A crowd waiting/building for the opposition candidate:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2020, 12:27:45 PM
I feel like what's happening in Belarus is important. A crowd waiting/building for the opposition candidate:

What's up with the arrested Russian mercenaries from the group that usually do Putin's dirty work aroung the globe? Narrative assistance from Russia?