News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2009, 05:16:28 PM
Playboy's hurting

Apparently, though some newfangled magic, people can see pics of naked chicks without buying an expensive glossy magazine.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2009, 04:37:33 PM
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

I'm not even bothering with facepalm pictures.
I know.  Who doesn't know about the Scharnhorst?

They had a great big exhibit when I was on HMS Belfast.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

In my wallet I have a $20 bill and somone stamped on it: "Independence, Alberta's Only Hope."

Neil? Want it back? :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2009, 06:08:15 PM
In my wallet I have a $20 bill and somone stamped on it: "Independence, Alberta's Only Hope."

Oh, that's mine.  Pls mail it to Iowa City, attn: Yi.

Neil

It wasn't me.  Albertan indedependence is worthless unless there is an enlightened government in charge.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on October 09, 2009, 06:21:27 PM

It wasn't me.  Albertan indedependence is worthless unless there is an enlightened government in charge.

Just keep voting NDP
Civis Romanus Sum

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2009, 06:39:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 09, 2009, 06:21:27 PM

Just keep voting NDP
That won't help.  Remember, enlightenment and NDP policies are mutually opposed.  No NDP-style government can maintain social order.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 08, 2009, 09:04:51 PM
Will they cancel an air show because of rain?  Are ear plugs recommended?   Am planning on going to see the US Air Force Thunderbirds tomorrow but have never been to one, and it's been raining often lately.

What a fucking disaster.  Hundreds of thousands of people tried to show up to see the USAF Thunderbirds.  I didn't make it to the air show, the traffic jam extended for miles around the old airport it was in.  I gave up and went home, and I'm glad I did. From reports of people there people were dropping like flies from heat exhaustion, and it took hours to clear everyone from the site.

I should have gone to the 'practice' session when there was only a few thousand people.

garbon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 11, 2009, 12:44:35 AM
What a fucking disaster.  Hundreds of thousands of people tried to show up to see the USAF Thunderbirds.  I didn't make it to the air show, the traffic jam extended for miles around the old airport it was in.  I gave up and went home, and I'm glad I did. From reports of people there people were dropping like flies from heat exhaustion, and it took hours to clear everyone from the site.

I should have gone to the 'practice' session when there was only a few thousand people.

The Blue Angels were grounded here in SF because of fog. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

For you people in Korea, they will be there on the 21st in Osan and 23rd in Seoul.

http://thunderbirds.airforce.com/schedule.html

HisMajestyBOB

Cool, I have those days off, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

A conversation with my dad yesterday.

Dad: "So I sent an email with condolences from both of us to Australia. The funeral's Tuesday."
Me wracking my brains: "That's good. Umm, so who died?"
Dad: "Didn't I tell you? Your Auntie Queenie died last week. She went out in her wheelchair for a cigarette, took one puff and dropped down dead."
Me: "It's how she would have wanted to go..."

Only two of eight siblings left in my late mother's family now  :cry:

Josquius

Some of these are cool.
Some are just advertising but some are cool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/

10 things we didn't know last week

1. Male life expectancy in the UK goes up by about three months every year.
More details

2. Fidel Castro stopped smoking cigars in 1985.
More details

3. In the early days of barcodes there was a plan for round ones.
More details

4. In the UK, 26 million addresses get post.
More details

5. Japan has a theme park where children pretend to be fast food workers.
More details

6. Only two serving US presidents won the Nobel peace prize before Barack Obama - Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson in 1919.
More details (the Guardian)

7. The flash on David Bowie's Aladdin Sane album cover was inspired by the logo from a rice cooker.
More details

8. Wild animals in zoos in Gaza have to be smuggled in tunnels under the border.
More details

9. There was a royal blood disorder.
More details

10. Low-quality females prefer low-quality males. In the world of zebra finches at least.
More details
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF049-Kinder_Interview.gif

I'm not  totally sure why, but I think that is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."