News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 08:38:55 AM

But yeah I do wonder how our politics will change when we have a generation that grew up very online.

It will normalise, assuming we survive until then.

Most of the problem is with people who don't realise that just because something is on a video it can still be a lie.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2020, 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 08:38:55 AM

But yeah I do wonder how our politics will change when we have a generation that grew up very online.

It will normalise, assuming we survive until then.

Most of the problem is with people who don't realise that just because something is on a video it can still be a lie.

I don't think you can just say "It will normalize".  What does that even mean?  That things will go back to exactly the way they were before internet access became common.  Radio and TV changed politics, and things didn't just go back to the way they had been after awhile and people got used to telecommunications.  I don't see that any changes caused by the internet well just reset somehow.

Sheilbh

To put it in really blunt terms - I think it's really only a limited amount of time before we have senior politicians with leaked nudes and I don't know if we, as a society, are ready for this.

I have loved the French response to the LREM Paris Mayoral candidate having a sex tape leaked - which may or may not have involved Russia, who knows? All of the political establishment, including Le Pen have sort of rallied around him and made absolutely clear that privacy over their sex tapes is a core value of the Republic. I actually think he's been criticised for stepping down because it's sending the wrong message to other people whose privacy is attacked or threatened like that :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2020, 07:45:09 AM
I know I should be more apalled that he's a nazi (FPÖ though, so no shock), but I love the fact he thought leaving "LordNesti" as his contact email in a political add was a grand idea.

Getting a brand new "professional" email before getting serious in life sounds pretty 101, but apparently many people think it's fine to use your cool one instead.

Josquius

One for those who may be fond of Dragonball

https://imgur.com/a/A54Ih

:huh:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Lord Nesti didn't turn up anything English in Google. Who dat?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 05, 2020, 12:22:00 PM
Lord Nesti didn't turn up anything English in Google. Who dat?

The guy's last name is Nestelberger, so (Lord) Nesti is probably based on that.

He denies all allegations, btw. The profile has been switched to private and the user name/image changed shortly after the tweet went up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 05, 2020, 12:17:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2020, 07:45:09 AM
I know I should be more apalled that he's a nazi (FPÖ though, so no shock), but I love the fact he thought leaving "LordNesti" as his contact email in a political add was a grand idea.

Getting a brand new "professional" email before getting serious in life sounds pretty 101, but apparently many people think it's fine to use your cool one instead.
Yeah - it was a lesson I learned young after applying for a job with an embarrassing email :ph34r: :blush:

Why I'm surprised this guy looks so young. I'd expect that sort of mistake from someone older.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Is that a dueling scar?  :ph34r:

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
To put it in really blunt terms - I think it's really only a limited amount of time before we have senior politicians with leaked nudes and I don't know if we, as a society, are ready for this.

Given that most of our senior politicians are A) males, and B) seniors I know my eyes aren't ready for it.  Probably won't ever be.

Sheilbh

Ruler of Dubai orchestrated kidnapping of his UK-based children and led campaign of intimidation against his youngest wife:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/dubai-ruler-sheikh-mohammed-organised-kidnapping-of-his-children-uk-court-finds

There's been a lot of back and forth in court over allowing publishing of details of this case, but it's pretty awful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

The details concerning Latifa's attempts at escaping had been leaked earlier, and yes, it's terrible. The amount of official contortions to avoid angering this piece of shit was also quite infuriating.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 05, 2020, 01:18:37 PM
The details concerning Latifa's attempts at escaping had been leaked earlier, and yes, it's terrible. The amount of official contortions to avoid angering this piece of shit was also quite infuriating.
Yes. Not the first time that UK government's have bent over backwards and interfered with the courts to keep our Gulf "allies" happy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

It's not just the UK, alas. The Gulf tyrants have rightly concluded that their money buys them every necessary complacency. It seems they don't even bother with keeping up appearances anymore.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 12:08:28 PM

I have loved the French response to the LREM Paris Mayoral candidate having a sex tape leaked - which may or may not have involved Russia, who knows? All of the political establishment, including Le Pen have sort of rallied around him and made absolutely clear that privacy over their sex tapes is a core value of the Republic. I actually think he's been criticised for stepping down because it's sending the wrong message to other people whose privacy is attacked or threatened like that :lol:

Comedy was great with him with campaign statements such as "I want to build a carnal relationship with Parisians" and his motto "Paris m'habite" (Paris lives inside me) which is pronounced the same way as "Paris ma bitte" meaning Paris my dick. Just before the leaked video showing masturbation. :lol: