News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Come on dudes. Ordering a KKK drink in Mississippi would have bad consequences. Don't do that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

So I take it ordering an "Irish Car Bomb" in a Dublin pub is right out, as well?  :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

If Muslims weren't supposed to abstain from alcohol, I bet a drink called a "Jihadist Suicide Bomber" would be popular in Tehran, at least among the Iranian political leadership. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2020, 03:57:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2020, 03:53:45 PM
I wouldn't try ordering a black and tan in Dublin if I were you :P

Seriously?  It's a staple in Irish pubs over here.  I thought it was a brilliant case of the Irish taking the piss.

First hint you are not in an Irish pub ☘️

Malthus

The Irish pub in my neighbourhood has the unfortunate name of "The Old Sod".  :D

I assume the double meaning was deliberate ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjv0M_vO4Zw

Chris Matthews retires from MSNBC on air, apparently in response to allegations he is too pervy with the hotties.

dps

So, now that we live in Indiana, we all have to get new primary care physicians.  We picked out a local doctor, and my mom had her first appointment with him earlier today.  He took her off of all but 1 of her prescriptions, which matched up exactly with what I had thought all along.  Wish we'd had a doctor like him for her back in NC. 

Aa and I have appointments with him next week.  I suspect aa will get taken off at least one of her meds, too.  I'm probably stuck with the boatload of them that I take.

Maladict

The last person born in Free Moresnet passed away aged 105. RIP Neutral Zone.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2020, 09:51:00 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2020, 03:57:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2020, 03:53:45 PM
I wouldn't try ordering a black and tan in Dublin if I were you :P

Seriously?  It's a staple in Irish pubs over here.  I thought it was a brilliant case of the Irish taking the piss.

First hint you are not in an Irish pub ☘️

It gives you a clue about how close to the pulse of the situation in Ireland those pubs are, i.e., not at all.  :P

I have an Irish buddy and Irish Americans is possibly the people he pours most scorn on.

Syt

FPÖ leading candidate for a rural district in Austria apparently uses the same user name for party business and Steam.  :lol:  :face:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

We're going to be seeing more and more of that as the years go by. I know my chance of a political career is gone. There was a minor MP in Sheffield a few years back got in huge trouble for past (highly offensive) forum posts made as a stupid kid.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I know I should be more apalled that he's a nazi (FPÖ though, so no shock), but I love the fact he thought leaving "LordNesti" as his contact email in a political add was a grand idea.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2020, 07:45:09 AM
I know I should be more apalled that he's a nazi (FPÖ though, so no shock), but I love the fact he thought leaving "LordNesti" as his contact email in a political add was a grand idea.

Yes, that's very dumb.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

It's also the sort of mistake I'd expect someone older to make :mellow:

But yeah I do wonder how our politics will change when we have a generation that grew up very online.
Let's bomb Russia!