News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Several years ago CB and I went to see "Swan Lake" at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC.  I've never bothered to remove myself from their e-mail list.
More recently, I registered for the Kennedy Space Center e-mail list to keep track of launches.
This morning I didn't read the address line closely enough and momentarily thought NASA was launching Don Giovanni into outer space.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
To put it in really blunt terms - I think it's really only a limited amount of time before we have senior politicians with leaked nudes and I don't know if we, as a society, are ready for this.

With the kind of access we have granted to certain organizations, I expect all future candidates to be owned by the powers that be.

We saw an early example in Spain some time ago when a video of a conservative politician suddenly surfaced while she was in the limelight. She had been recorded stealing, and the evidence had been sitting at someone's file cabinet for seven years, until it was useful.

Admiral Yi

Hey DGuller, 25 even the USSC overturns LA abortion law.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2020, 06:59:28 PM
Overturning the law is pro-abortion or anti-abortion stance?  I can't imagine Roberts being dumb enough to galvanize the left for the election that could lead to his court being packed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 07:01:32 PM
Overturning the law is pro-abortion or anti-abortion stance?  I can't imagine Roberts being dumb enough to galvanize the left for the election that could lead to his court being packed.

When is the next Conservative judge going to step down?

Admiral Yi

Overturning is pro.  Law says abortion providers have to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2020, 07:05:16 PM

Overturning is pro.  Law says abortion providers have to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.
If you're on the side of pro, then I'm on the same side.  I have no doubt that Roberts will contort himself to whatever he needs to when the time comes, his or others' precedents be damned, but I think he understand that this is a particularly bad time to pounce on the abortion.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 07:07:49 PM
If you're on the side of pro, then I'm on the same side.  I have no doubt that Roberts will contort himself to whatever he needs to when the time comes, his or others' precedents be damned, but I think he understand that this is a particularly bad time to pounce on the abortion.

Nice definite article Slav. :nelson:

FYI, precedent is on the side of overturning, so no contortions needed (unlike Obamacare).

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 07:02:38 PM

The oldest two justices are liberals: RBG 86yo, Breyer 81yo.  Next oldest would be Thomas 71 yo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2020, 07:17:00 PM

FYI, precedent is on the side of overturning, so no contortions needed (unlike Obamacare).
:mad: No, I get you, I'm saying that he'll contort himself one day, but that day won't be in 2020.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 07:38:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2020, 07:17:00 PM

:mad: No, I get you, I'm saying that he'll contort himself one day, but that day won't be in 2020.

:yes:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2020, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2020, 07:02:38 PM

The oldest two justices are liberals: RBG 86yo, Breyer 81yo.  Next oldest would be Thomas 71 yo.

Thomas has a bad ticker. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

There's been one or two cases of a Muslim refusing to shake the hand of a politician of the opposite sex at citizenship ceremonies, and that has sparked outrage resulting in a new law requiring any new citizen to shake the hand of the politician handing over the papers at the ceremony. Refusal means no citizenship.

Because of the coronovirus breakout they are now forced to cancel all new citizenship approvals. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

From the Twitter account "Poorly Aged Things"

(The Independent article is online if you want to google for it)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Happy international women's day to all of our wonderful women of Languish!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."