News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Hum, I wouldn't consider Dark Moor the most popular Spanish metal band. Unless they're really popular abroad.

Iormlund

I can only recognize Iron Maiden and Rammstein.  :blush:

Well, and a Tolkien toponym.  :nerd:

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on January 20, 2020, 01:51:14 PM
I can only recognize Iron Maiden and Rammstein.  :blush:

Well, and a Tolkien toponym.  :nerd:

Not even Laibach? They had some semi-mainstream hits back in the 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9lObWclFQ

crazy canuck

Impact of asteroid killed off the dinosaurs - not a combo with Volcanic eruptions

Quote"A lot of people have wanted to argue that both the impact and the volcanism mattered in the extinction," said Pincelli Hull, a paleontologist and geology professor at Yale University who led the research, which was published Thursday in Science. "And what we're seeing is, it doesn't look like it. It's just the impact."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/16/science/dinosaurs-extinction-meteorite-volcano.html?algo=identity&fellback=false&imp_id=618813142&imp_id=501951506&action=click&module=Science%20%20Technology&pgtype=Homepage

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 01:51:04 PM
Hum, I wouldn't consider Dark Moor the most popular Spanish metal band. Unless they're really popular abroad.

It seems in the "Spanish Metal" category on last.fm they seem to have the most listeners. :P

Thanks to the map I've discovered Silence Lies Fear, so that's good.

Also, AFAICT, Ukraine has the only NS Black Metal band listed.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

No question about Moonspell for Portugal. As for France... Trust in the not so old days (Antisocial). As for Gojira why not.
Except for Septic Flesh and Laibach, most Balkans, Baltic, Caucasus and Near East (Turkey) bands I have never heard of.
Never heard of Dark Moor, I guess they are not very well known outside of their country, unlike Moonspell.
Scandie bands are known, except for the Icelandic one.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2020, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 01:51:04 PM

It seems in the "Spanish Metal" category on last.fm they seem to have the most listeners. :P

Thanks to the map I've discovered Silence Lies Fear, so that's good.

Also, AFAICT, Ukraine has the only NS Black Metal band listed.  :hmm:

Must be an abroad thing. I.e. Mago de Oz are wildly more popular, one of those few metal bands that regular folks will have heard songs of (although they are close to becoming a folk-rock band nowadays).

Dark Moor are pretty good, mind. Love their classical music covers.

Duque de Bragança

Mago de Oz I had heard of, though I have not been following their folk-rock period.

The Larch

That map is literally the first time I've heard about Dark Moor, and the metal scene is not something unknown to me.

Admiral Yi

I feel like a lost Hobbit listening in on an Orc conversation.

Josquius

Finland, UK, and Germany are the only ones I know :hmm:

Interesting they were able to find stuff for Monaco, Sam Marino and Liechtenstein but not Malta.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2020, 08:28:56 AM
Finland, UK, and Germany are the only ones I know :hmm:

Interesting they were able to find stuff for Monaco, Sam Marino and Liechtenstein but not Malta.

This is why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Maltese_heavy_metal_musical_groups
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

What's special about dark Moors?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2020, 11:13:37 AM

Atop them, you can see the stars much better.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2020, 11:18:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2020, 11:13:37 AM

Atop them, you can see the stars much better.

Do you know this for a fact?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.