News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Maybe Prince Harry should run for PM in Canada.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

No they're selling milk.

And what sort of consumption could be more conspicuous and disgraceful than one you can literally never have. I mean I suppose the Kardashians could, like Prince Charles, have a servant to put toothpaste on their toothbrush, but they've got more taste than that.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2020, 05:56:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2020, 05:32:28 PM
Meh. Fuck it, they're both as bad of each other.

The royals are serving as role models of dignity, decorum, and good manners.  The Kardashians are serving as role models of attention-seeking, conspicuous consumption, and plastic surgery.

It's not so much that, as that the reigning monarch is at least a public official in some sense and, as pointed out up-thread, does have a lot of soft power;  while the Kardashians are, well, nothing.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 23, 2020, 12:57:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2020, 12:41:02 PM
My mom is really into this royal family bullshit.  I thought we fought a war so we wouldn't have to care.

One view of this is that Harry and his wife can make far more money exploiting their celebrity in the US.  Which would not be possible with the constraints they have being part of the royal family.

That maybe true, but I'm currently exercising my right as an American not to care.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2020, 06:17:11 PM
No they're selling milk.

And what sort of consumption could be more conspicuous and disgraceful than one you can literally never have. I mean I suppose the Kardashians could, like Prince Charles, have a servant to put toothpaste on their toothbrush, but they've got more taste than that.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2020, 12:11:19 PM
Thank you Alfred DorseyGuller Russel
I think I have been pretty clear that I do not appreciate this crap.  If you want to keep doing this, I can't stop you, but I will consider this to be a deliberate show of disrespect.

Eddie Teach

Nobody can tell the difference between you and an accountant.  :P

dps

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2020, 11:38:28 PM
I think I have been pretty clear that I do not appreciate this crap.  If you want to keep doing this, I can’t stop you, but I will consider this to be a deliberate show of disrespect.

If posters here stop deliberately stop showing disrespect for each other, it just won't be Languish anymore.

Eddie Teach

What the hillbilly said.  :D

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2020, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2020, 12:11:19 PM
Thank you Alfred DorseyGuller Russel
I think I have been pretty clear that I do not appreciate this crap.  If you want to keep doing this, I can't stop you, but I will consider this to be a deliberate show of disrespect.

Relax man we all think you are cool. It is just an inside joke, no disrespect meant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Fine, maybe I have pushed it too far, I will stop, Dguller, apologies.

I am only 70% certain you are the same person, anyways :p

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 03:57:38 PM
I think the Royals theoretically could do things if they really pushed their legal authority, Elizabeth is just not stupid enough to do so.

I could see the monarchy stepping in only if the government was totally out of line. It would have to be a serious issue and one opposed by 80%+ of the populace. I can't recall a time when we have been in that position, so she sensibly does nothing.

Josquius

Closing parliament to sneak through a no deal brexit?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on January 24, 2020, 02:51:47 AM
Closing parliament to sneak through a no deal brexit?

Only 47% were against that.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/28/47-27-brits-oppose-parliament-suspension

It wasn't right, but it was insufficiently wrong for the nuclear option.