News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Heh as it turns out the provider they use for these wonderful reports is hosting photos taken on public www addresses. With GPS information on the JPGs, of course. I have raised this with them, as well.

If they want details they will get details.

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on January 24, 2020, 11:45:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 24, 2020, 07:25:10 PM
Most leases, even in the States, have the clause that the landlord or their agent can pretty much come in as often as they like, so long as they give enough notice.

Yeah, but in my experience they don't often exercise those rights, at least not at professionally or even semi-professionally managed properties.  If you're just renting an upstairs room in someone's house, it's probably a different story.

Oh, I agree...it was never used at any place I've rented in the States.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on January 25, 2020, 05:24:30 AM
Heh as it turns out the provider they use for these wonderful reports is hosting photos taken on public www addresses. With GPS information on the JPGs, of course. I have raised this with them, as well.

If they want details they will get details.

Tamas, that's a serious breach of the data regulations, you could take them to the commission.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Yeah, I don't think there's much in it for you, but the potential punishments for such GDPR breaches are MASSIVE. 10 million euros or 2% of turnover, whichever is higher.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

It's not like absentee landlords is necessarily a good thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

One day I would like to learn when to use "Who" and when to use "Whom".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2020, 08:55:09 PM
One day I would like to learn when to use "Who" and when to use "Whom".

This is actually pretty easy, and you have 2 options.

1. (The Classical View).  "Who" is a subject pronoun.  Who kicked the can?  Who shot J.R.?  "Whom" is an object pronoun.  The can was kicked by whom?  The laws were changed to benefit whom?

2. (The Modern View).  Nobody cares; use "who" always.  Who kicked the can?  Who shot J.R.?  The can was kicked by who?  The laws were changed to benefit who?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2020, 09:11:36 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's much in it for you, but the potential punishments for such GDPR breaches are MASSIVE. 10 million euros or 2% of turnover, whichever is higher.
That's a lower breach too - the highest is 20 million Euro or 4% of global (group) turnover whichever is higher. Though we've not seen much enforcement.

There's also an emerging possibility in the UK of class action law suits.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Beware if you guys adopt our culture of lawsuits...there will be a run on silly wigs.

Tamas

Just had a reply, allegedly the provider has already fixed it to use https and remove location info.

The reply also completely ignored my long and detailed list of mistakes in the report itself, so I have pushed back on that, explaining that I do not wish such a detailed study of our home list several pre-existing wear and damages as if they have happened during our tenancy.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

A guy at work just pointed out something funny and horrifying.
There's a very decent chance somebody's birthday is 9 months after their dad's birthday, as well as the typical new years, valentines, etc...
This holds up for my sister. August-May. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Yep.

Around my work place the most numerous birth month is February, 9 month before that is June. Start of wedding season.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Amongst my group of friends the most common birthday time is late march/early april, which fits nicely with a summer romp. After that it's september, so christmas romp instead.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on January 28, 2020, 01:12:23 PM
Amongst my group of friends the most common birthday time is late march/early april, which fits nicely with a summer romp. After that it's september, so christmas romp instead.

The days in September corresponding to Christmas are the most popular birthdays.

Some very interesting data here: http://thedailyviz.com/2016/09/17/how-common-is-your-birthday-dailyviz/