News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Which came first, the declaration of the 2nd Reich, or the annexation of Alsace and Lorraine? :wonder:

Oexmelin

Declaration: January 1871
Annexation: May 1871
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

How do posters of that reconcile their idiocy with the fact that Germany has gained territory in the last 30 years?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on January 19, 2020, 09:53:42 AM
How do posters of that reconcile their idiocy with the fact that German has gained territory in the last 30 years?

By being thinly veiled nazis.

mongers

Lost my bike computer yesterday evening, worked out I must have lost it somewhere in the last 3-4 miles before I noticed it gone.

Went out in better light this afternoon, stopped at a few places I thought likely, like junctions, cattle-grids, places I pulled over to let cars pass, but didn't have any luck, so carried on to the next town to do some shopping.

On the way back I stopped at couple of more places I'd been to take photos or admire the view, but to no avail.

Carried on and stopped again at two or three of the places I though I might have lost it, plus cycled slowly for a couple of miles along the muddy/water-logged lanes hoping to see it in the mess.

Stopped at a side road junction with the main road, the last place I could have lost it, just before I'd noticed it gone and spent a minute or so looking in the grass/verges, but to no avail.

Then a car pulled up from the side road and a man got out, "Have you lost a cycle computer, because my son found it yesterday"  :blink:

He then drove off to get if for me, turns out he wasn't even going to use the junction, just passing the oddly circular road there and notice me a bit further on walking across the t-junction looking for something.

That's a bit of a co-incidence isn't it?

Probably means I've used up all of my good luck for the year, maybe I'll be especially careful the next few weeks; I'm likely now to have a very unlikely deadly accident, aren't I?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2020, 12:45:12 PM
Lost my bike computer yesterday evening, worked out I must have lost it somewhere in the last 3-4 miles before I noticed it gone.

Went out in better light this afternoon, stopped at a few places I thought likely, like junctions, cattle-grids, places I pulled over to let cars pass, but didn't have any luck, so carried on to the next town to do some shopping.

On the way back I stopped at couple of more places I'd been to take photos or admire the view, but to no avail.

Carried on and stopped again at two or three of the places I though I might have lost it, plus cycled slowly for a couple of miles along the muddy/water-logged lanes hoping to see it in the mess.

Stopped at a side road junction with the main road, the last place I could have lost it, just before I'd noticed it gone and spent a minute or so looking in the grass/verges, but to no avail.

Then a car pulled up from the side road and a man got out, "Have you lost a cycle computer, because my son found it yesterday"  :blink:

He then drove off to get if for me, turns out he wasn't even going to use the junction, just passing the oddly circular road there and notice me a bit further on walking across the t-junction looking for something.

That's a bit of a co-incidence isn't it?

Probably means I've used up all of my good luck for the year, maybe I'll be especially careful the next few weeks; I'm likely now to have a very unlikely deadly accident, aren't I?

Or the beginning (of the end?) of a lucky roll, so go play some lottery for once.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 19, 2020, 01:01:37 PM

Or the beginning (of the end?) of a lucky roll, so go play some lottery for once.  :P

Come on Duque, that's going a bit far, though maybe I'll not go out in a thunderstorm for a while/ever again.  :D

Admiral Yi

Very enjoyable and informative article about disgust in The Economist.

Museum of Disgusting Foods in Malmo Sweden hands out barf bags at the door, and has a sign saying how many days it has been since a visitor puked.

The US foods exhibited include Twinkies (no argument) and Pop-Tarts (WTF?)

Online version of the article is the fuck you subscribe kind.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2020, 01:08:18 PM
Very enjoyable and informative article about disgust in The Economist.

Museum of Disgusting Foods in Malmo Sweden hands out barf bags at the door, and has a sign saying how many days it has been since a visitor puked.

The US foods exhibited include Twinkies (no argument) and Pop-Tarts (WTF?)

Online version of the article is the fuck you subscribe kind.

I'm keeping shtum.  :bowler:

Eddie Teach

Twinkies are ok. I'd nominate Milk Duds and Nerds for the exhibit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Watching my first yank footie game in years. For very petty reasons I dislike the Titans so I'm pleased.

There seems to be more passing than the last time I watched NFL, but might be just this game.

Valmy

No this is the era of the pass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I'm reading the Barleby column in The Economist, the one about workplace conditions, and the writer, as a response to a book about the management style of Amazon, expresses amazement that Amazon warehouse workers have an UNPAID 30 minute lunch break.  "But if you're working an hour shift, surely you need to eat lunch!"  I felt like I had landed in an alien civilization.

Zoupa

Is the amazement that the break is unpaid, or that there is a break at all?