News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Apparently Betelgeuse may go supernova "soon". Its luminosity has decreased 70% since November.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 14, 2020, 03:18:40 PM
Apparently Betelgeuse may go supernova "soon". Its luminosity has decreased 70% since November.

I pedantically must point out that you have your tenses wrong: some scientists theorize that Betelgeuese may have gone supernove 642 years ago, and the light of that explosion is about to reach us soon.

Or not.  It's known to be a variable star in any event, and we've never observed a star dim right before going supernova before (although it's been hypothesized).

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

What's worse? The flash or the bang?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Wrong thread.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2020, 12:42:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNHZVAq41G4

Putin's entire cabinet just resigned.

But not in a bad way...it's smells like a ploy...

He is legally term-limited out in 2024...so just shift all the power to the Prime Minister, and then become that. 

(and he has been PM already, when he did the tandem swap with Medvedev some time ago)

Admiral Yi

Right.  Obviously it wasn't a palace revolt.

The Larch

They want to reform the Russian constitution, apparently. Maybe preparing for a post-Putin situation?

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on January 15, 2020, 12:49:03 PM
They want to reform the Russian constitution, apparently. Maybe preparing for a post-Putin situation?

MOre likely to allow Putin to continue holding onto power post-2024.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 12:51:26 PM

MOre likely to allow Putin to continue holding onto power post-2024.

That or Kadyrov.  :P

Tonitrus

Not they, Putin.  He, himself is proposing moving more power to the Duma (who currently approves, acknowledge really, the PM candidate selected by the President) to be the body that selects the PM without the President being able to block it.  At the same time, moving more powers to the PM (at the expense of the President).  With all of this requiring approval by referendum.

Being that one could potentially conclude that Putin and his party (United Russia) have a lock on the electoral system, and a lock on control of the Duma, it smells to me of just a way for the Putin to get around the presidential term limits.  Perhaps thinking that changing the term limits (or axing them) looks a little too blatantly authoritarian.

With this maneuver, it could easily be spun as being more "democratic" and even sold as moving more towards a western European/UK-style parliamentary system.  But with Putin still ending up as the boss. 

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 15, 2020, 12:56:14 PM

Not they, Putin.  He, himself is proposing moving more power to the Duma (who currently approves, acknowledge really, the PM candidate selected by the President) to be the body that selects the PM without the President being able to block it.  At the same time, moving more powers to the PM (at the expense of the President).  With all of this requiring approval by referendum.

Being that one could potentially conclude that Putin and his party (United Russia) have a lock on the electoral system, and a lock on control of the Duma, it smells to me of just a way for the Putin to get around the presidential term limits.  Perhaps thinking that changing the term limits (or axing them) looks a little too blatantly authoritarian.

With this maneuver, it could easily be spun as being more "democratic" and even sold as moving more towards a western European/UK-style parliamentary system.  But with Putin still ending up as the boss.

They're also creating a new body or position to which Medvedev would be shifted after leaving the PM spot, right? Any clue about what that'll do?

Tonitrus

I don't think Medvedev is really a relevant figure any more.

Valmy

Putin is only 67, he could easily go another 20 years of ruling Russia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."