News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Since I lived in Germany for a few years, lots are familiar.

Tonitrus

I used to favor BASF-made VHS video cassettes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on January 10, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
At least half for me, much of that through work (for example Trumpf is one of the big industrial laser manufacturers). I've also lived some time over there, so that makes other brands recognizable (eg. Edeka). The rest are the big ones, except Märklin (uncle is a big model train nerd).
Yeah I recognise more American ones than German ones, but I recognise more German ones than Yi. I think it's just where you're from and what you do - but it's also probably fair to say that Germany has more industrial/manufacturing companies you won't necessarily recognise than consumer facing. Similarly the pharma companies I don't know in the US.

But looking at the FTSE 100 there are lots I don't recognise too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Very much depends on your job.
SAP for instance is one of the biggest IT companies in the world. But I hadn't heard of it until I got my first office job. I don't think the man on the street knows them. And that's one of the more famous ones on the list.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2020, 08:04:37 AM
Märklin is this big? Wow.

I was about to post that. Pretty cool.

Syt

Märklin is under Simba Dickie these days. They also own Tamiya:

https://www.simba-dickie-group.com/en/companies-and-brands/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Wonder if there's any Spanish company people here would recognize, besides Zara, Marqués de Cáceres, and the football teams  :P

The few large Spanish multinationals mostly do business in Latin America, and that's not languish audience.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2020, 05:24:24 PM
Wonder if there's any Spanish company people here would recognize, besides Zara, Marqués de Cáceres, and the football teams  :P

The few large Spanish multinationals mostly do business in Latin America, and that's not languish audience.

I know Zara, Mango, Pull & Bear, Santander, and Seat. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Definitely a few - Telefonica, Santander, BBVA, IAG.

But they've all have UK wings. Except for BBVA I think - and I've no idea why I know them off the top of my head :huh:

Edit: Just saw Syt's pic. I know about half. A fair few have UK presence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Also, a map of Germany's most valuable brands (as opposed to biggest companies).

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

I am fascinated by the Lidl/Aldi switch :o :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

The comparison of those two is instructive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maladict

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_largest_private_companies_by_country

I did a couple of top50 lists:

Europe 45
USA 32
France 26
Germany 24
UK 17
Nordic countries 13

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2020, 05:30:08 PM
Definitely a few - Telefonica, Santander, BBVA, IAG.

But they've all have UK wings. Except for BBVA I think - and I've no idea why I know them off the top of my head :huh:

Edit: Just saw Syt's pic. I know about half. A fair few have UK presence.

BBVA used to sponsor the football league. I presume you'd at least heard the name in sports reporting.

Eddie Teach

Huh, had no idea about Google rebranding.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?