News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I might have asked this before, but is a don the same as a professor?

Eddie Teach

Professor Corleone has a nice ring to it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2020, 11:18:36 PM
Yeah, by the sound of it most of the victims had no idea until the police spoke to them.

There's still loads they haven't identified too.
Seriously messed up.
This is one case where tightening restrictions on drugs is definitely called for
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2020, 02:48:24 AM
This story's amazing:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jan/09/a-scandal-in-oxford-the-curious-case-of-the-stolen-gospel

The Greens strike again - that damned Hobby Lobby Bible Museum shows up all over the place as the source of all sorts of crime, graft and fraud. There's irony in that.

This story would make an awesome mini-series!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

relics scams? everything really does make a comeback
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2020, 07:04:18 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2020, 11:18:36 PM
Yeah, by the sound of it most of the victims had no idea until the police spoke to them.

There's still loads they haven't identified too.
Seriously messed up.
This is one case where tightening restrictions on drugs is definitely called for

Of course it would have been nice had care been taking when gays were ODing/being murdered.

It will be good if changes come but it smacks of care being paid because a large of straight men were impacted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2020, 12:34:39 PM
Of course it would have been nice had care been taking when gays were ODing/being murdered.

It will be good if changes come but it smacks of care being paid because a large of straight men were impacted.

The care paid seems to consist of police showing up at a house where a fight had taken place, without knowledge of the sexuality of the participants and the large number of prior victims.  I don't see how this fits into a bias narrative.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 12:43:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2020, 12:34:39 PM

The care paid seems to consist of police showing up at a house where a fight had taken place, without knowledge of the sexuality of the participants and the large number of prior victims.  I don't see how this fits into a bias narrative.

I was thinking specifically about the Home Office already taking steps to review GHB.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

OK.  Don't know enough to comment.

Josquius

Yeah, I've never heard of this drug being used recreationally and the scale of the issue.

Here the issue is less that most of the victims were straight and more how many of them there were
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2020, 09:20:31 AM
This story's amazing:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jan/09/a-scandal-in-oxford-the-curious-case-of-the-stolen-gospel

The Greens strike again - that damned Hobby Lobby Bible Museum shows up all over the place as the source of all sorts of crime, graft and fraud. There's irony in that.

Well the Greens poured a ton of money very quickly into what used to be a niche market, without having any knowledge or background. And some of the people advising them - e.g. Scott Carroll who is mentioned in the article - don't seem to have been at the pinnacle of the profession.  It's not surprising to see a match made in non-heaven between the Greens and their money on the one hand and the less than punctilious elements of the antiquities trade, on the other.

What is interesting about this article is finding that the corrupting influence of the walls of money seems to have tainted at least one person who was at the pinnacle of the profession.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2020, 01:20:37 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of this drug being used recreationally and the scale of the issue.

Here the issue is less that most of the victims were straight and more how many of them there were

Well except that it actually has affected way more gays than that in prior incidents over years. Channel 4/Buzzfeed had good pieces after an investigation last year.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2020, 02:15:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2020, 09:20:31 AM
This story's amazing:

Well the Greens poured a ton of money very quickly into what used to be a niche market, without having any knowledge or background. And some of the people advising them - e.g. Scott Carroll who is mentioned in the article - don't seem to have been at the pinnacle of the profession.  It's not surprising to see a match made in non-heaven between the Greens and their money on the one hand and the less than punctilious elements of the antiquities trade, on the other.

What is interesting about this article is finding that the corrupting influence of the walls of money seems to have tainted at least one person who was at the pinnacle of the profession.

There is more to it than the mere more money than expertise problem leading to unfortunate results - they seem to be implicated again and again in scandals. The impression is that they are actively unscrupulous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_Lobby_smuggling_scandal
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 04:26:39 AM
I might have asked this before, but is a don the same as a professor?
I've literally zero idea how academic titles work (especially at Oxbridge) but it's only really used by articles like this. It's not a title people have on their department website or anything.

I think - though I could be wrong and this is just a guess - that it could be because Oxbridge is a Medieval university so run by clergyman and monks and focused on theology. I don't know if it's specific but English monks are often still called "Dom" which is close?
Let's bomb Russia!