News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

From what angle would I disapprove? SF is in desparate need of more affordable housing. I'm not quite sure I could afford to live where I lived 10 years ago in the city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2020, 07:16:49 PM
From what angle would I disapprove? SF is in desparate need of more affordable housing. I'm not quite sure I could afford to live where I lived 10 years ago in the city.

I thought you might object to a union for renters, especially one named San Francisco BARF.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Indeed I thought the  :x smilie was supposed to represent a sign of support for BARF.

Anyway I am definitely all about the YIMBY movement, especially in cities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

May finally get to Iceland in April.

Is the full ring road worth it? Or is it just one of those silly achievement things?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2020, 03:29:54 PM
May finally get to Iceland in April.

Is the full ring road worth it? Or is it just one of those silly achievement things?

I really liked hiking Landmannalaugar - Þórsmörk so that's my recommendation. Some of the most extraordinary landscape I've ever seen and it easily rivals New Zealand.

But April may be too soon for that, Legbiter would tell you not to go.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Glad I didn't switch to Netflix when Texans went up 24 - 0.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2020, 05:24:24 PM
Wonder if there's any Spanish company people here would recognize, besides Zara, Marqués de Cáceres, and the football teams  :P

The few large Spanish multinationals mostly do business in Latin America, and that's not languish audience.

Grifols
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2020, 04:25:31 PM
Glad I didn't switch to Netflix when Texans went up 24 - 0.

This game is nuts.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

I just saw a random video about context dependent memory.
I wonder if this could be a practical use for those cool multicoloured lights you can get.
One hue for work, one hue for play.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Remember dail-up internet access, a time before always on connection?

This week the phone line is being upgraded and so as an experiment I'm going to significantly limit my internet access for this week, just to see what differences it makes, if any.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2020, 08:53:17 AM

This week the phone line is being upgraded and so as an experiment I'm going to significantly limit my internet access for this week, just to see what differences it makes, if any.

Nope, I started in 1998 with cable internet.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 13, 2020, 11:35:47 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2020, 08:53:17 AM

Nope, I started in 1998 with cable internet.  :P

Young'un. :rolleyes:

Josquius

I remember back in the day, trawling through the phone book to register as much of my town as possible as eager to sign up for broadband to boost our way up the list.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I remember using Pro Comm to log into a bulletin board which in turn gave me access to something I later learned was the internet.  Problem was the bulletin board had limited lines in.  So even if our house line was free (I had a sister so that was rare) I had to wait for a bulletin board line to come free on a first come first get basis.  Endlessly dialing in with Pro Comm was our version of walking up hill both ways on broken glass without shoes.

Barrister

I remember 2002-2004 when I lived out on a cottage by the lake, and didn't have any access to high speed internet and had to rely on dial-up.

There were a couple of times I would drive a half hour into town to go to work, download something onto a thumb drive, and drive the half hour back home - all because it was faster than waiting for something to download via dial-up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.