News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Over here it was 70€/day, but that was a few years ago, might have been raised since.

We have few jury trials, though.

Zoupa

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2019, 06:36:13 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2019, 05:24:39 PM
There are some folks who (I presume) are jokingly Francophobic on here. :contract:

Actually, I was thinking about some of the stridently anti-religious folks.

:rolleyes:

derspiess

Don't worry DPS-- if you're looking for that sort of thing, go check out Twitter. Plenty of gloating and insensitivity there.  Go for the anti-religiosity, stay for the anti-colonialism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I have a better idea: don't go check out Twitter. Actually that is usually the best idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
DC courts paid me like 13 clams an hour.  Do you guys not get that?

Here in NC you get $25/day the first week, $30(?)/day the second week, and $40/day thereafter.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2019, 02:19:34 PM
I found it interesting enough one time, except the waiting around part.
It really struck me how aggressively inefficient the whole system was.  It's like saying "yes, we'll spend two hours to have a five minute interaction, that's the way we do things around here, what are you going to do about that?"

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2019, 01:50:44 PM
Juries I've seen, and jurors I've talked to, all found it to be an interesting and positive experience.

I spent six weeks doing court reporting in Journalism school back in the day. Extremely boring. In one case, even the judge fell asleep. The only humorous part was when one kid from my class walked in and bowed to the judge.

My issue, anyway, was the timing. Busy time at work, and look -it's not like they pay.

Anyways, got a call from the courthouse yesterday, case was cancelled. Probably made a deal. So I'm spared for now. I would gladly do it when I'm retired.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 17, 2019, 06:21:40 PM
The many Sacklers of Sackler Gallery:

https://www.sacklergallery.com/

So these are professional actors impersonating the real Sacklers?  I think this qualifies as a low blow. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 17, 2019, 08:36:27 PM
If you haven't heard about the Sackler and Oxycontin. https://www.wnyc.org/story/sackler-family-wealth-opioids/

There are so many things that I don't understand about this whole opioid crisis. 

I thought all these drugs should be prescribed by doctors who act as gatekeepers?
Drugs need to be approved and certified to be safe?  Are they not?
How come I have never heard of this problem in this side of the world? 
The crisis seems a bit like a legalised cocaine problem.  So my question is how come the US government locks so many people up for drug usage, but lets these things happen? 

Admiral Yi

Yeah mono, that's one side of the argument.  Most drugs have side effects and it's the FDA's job to make sure those side effects aren't too great, and that everybody is aware of them.  And it's the prescribing doctor's job to make sure people don't get addicted.

The other side of the story is that the drug companies bribe doctors to prescribe more of their drugs.

The first side, your side, is one you don't hear a lot these days.

Camerus

Another problem is that folks who legit need pain relief (eg after surgery) can't get as much effective pain medication anymore because of this mess.