And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Jury selection tomorrow. Hope I don't get picked. Wonder if screaming out "Yes Mein Fuhrer" when they call me will help.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Don't lie, tell only the truth, be yourself. You won't get picked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Juries I've seen, and jurors I've talked to, all found it to be an interesting and positive experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2019, 01:50:44 PM
Juries I've seen, and jurors I've talked to, all found it to be an interesting and positive experience.

Were they simpletons?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I found it interesting enough one time, except the waiting around part.

Barrister

I mean it depends.  If you're a freelancer and jury duty means you don't get paid I have some sympathy.  But if your employer is going to cover your wages like they are supposed to then by all means embrace jury duty.

And remember that the prosecutors are always right.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2019, 02:32:40 PMBut if your employer is going to cover your wages like they are supposed to then by all means embrace jury duty.

That's not a requirement here.  Most employers won't do it, though mine does.

Habbaku

"Most" seems like an exaggeration. A quick search shows that some states mandate pay, and all the employers I've ever been with have covered it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

I think I've only worked one place where they wouldn't pay for jury duty.  Dude that owned the company was a notorious cheapskate.  But during new employee orientation they did 'generously' offer to give you a letter stating they didn't pay, to help you prove financial hardship.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

DC courts paid me like 13 clams an hour.  Do you guys not get that?

The Brain

Jesus. That's the swamp for you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
DC courts paid me like 13 clams an hour.  Do you guys not get that?

I think we gave a fairly ridiculous $20 or $25 per day.

Admiral Yi

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might have been a lot lower, like 5 an hour.