News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

:rolleyes:  They're just giving her the attention she wants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Those pictures of her with Pence are pretty great though. He must have been so uncomfortable.  :lol:

Habbaku

Right wingers criticizing her appearance are fucking weird. She looks great.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

She does, for the most part.  I'd prefer my congresscritters to dress maybe a little more conservatively when they're at work (the hooker boots are flat-out silly), but the smartest play is not to respond.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Hooker boots don't look that silly

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

:rolleyes: Ridiculous.

True Fact of the Day:  Someday I will be buried in the same cemetery that Fighting Joe is buried in.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2019, 08:34:23 AM
Apparently the new Democrat senator from Arizona has caused a moral outcry among right wingers because of her attire, with some comparing her looks to a prostitute or stripper.

Hell yeah.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2019, 11:30:15 AM
:rolleyes: Ridiculous.

True Fact of the Day:  Someday I will be buried in the same cemetery that Fighting Joe is buried in.

That is a cool fact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Also buried there are: several other Civil War generals, Salmon Chase, the guy who started Kroger, both Procter *and* Gamble, and the Fleischmann's yeast guy.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Maladict on January 29, 2019, 11:07:16 AM
Those pictures of her with Pence are pretty great though. He must have been so uncomfortable.  :lol:

This was taken seconds before he started leaning for the sex that surely follows encounters will all women & was violently yanked away by his moral compass/mom/wife. Poor Pence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

QuoteYou accuse me of straw manning your position then in the very next sentence you talk about Thatcher "favoring" London.  How did she favor London?  Did she smile more at Londoners?

By any chance do you have a link for that 10X claim?

No one is disputing that London is richer than the rest of England.  It's the why that we're arguing about.
Deregulation of the banking industries and massive focus on redevelopment in the City of London whilst the rest was left to rot with very minimal efforts to make up for lost jobs.
Closure of even profit making industries due to their union associations.
Removing the power of the metropolitan counties (hit London to an extent too but it was far more devastating for the north).
Proof- can't find the 10x, maybe mis-remembered. It's 'only' 5x
https://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/new-transport-figures-reveal-north-to-receive-indefensible-2-555-less-per-person-than-london

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2019, 10:17:49 PM
When Britain's first female prime minister was in her pomp, northern football fans travelling to away games in London would be taunted by home supporters waving wads of £10 and £20 notes. The brutal repartee of the terraces expressed a fundamental truth of the Thatcher period: the north suffered the worst of the deep recession and high unemployment of the early years; and it benefited least from the eventual boom of the late 1980s.

It would be wrong to say that Thatcher planned the decline of the north's most vital industries and sources of employment. In fact, northern England suffered precisely from the absence of a plan in Westminster.

In 1985, explaining why she believed regional planning in Britain was a non-starter, Thatcher said: "If we try to discourage development and economic growth in large parts of the south of England, in the hope that it will happen in the large cities in the north, we risk losing them altogether."

Left to its own devices, the British economy rebalanced irrevocably to the south. Employment in the manufacturing industry, vital to the north's wellbeing, slumped, falling from 7.1 million in 1979 to 4.4m in 1993. Services and the booming City eventually took up much of the economic slack, but the good times were happening in the south.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/apr/14/margaret-thatcher-20-changes-britain
[/quote]

It doesn't square with her actions.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2019, 09:26:45 AM

How do you know her intentions?

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2019, 03:06:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2019, 09:26:45 AM

How do you know her intentions?

She is wearing General Hooker type boots. She wants attention from American Civil War buffs. It couldn't be more obvious what she is about.

Habbaku

The South will rise again. :perv:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess