News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

When did this* happen?

* I hadn't know people's browsing habit had changed that much; previously people read the internets on a home computer, now a large chunk browse in other places and outside?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Check the bottom lines of your graph.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

There was some sort of security issue with IE at some point. So I switched to Chrome and never looked back. If I were to guess that happened sometime in 2009 :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Once Chrome was reliable on Android devices I adopted that for all my browsing. Probably happened around 2012-13
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

As an Appletard, I tried and enjoyed using Safari on Windows.  But they stopped development of that several years ago. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I switched to Firefox in the mid-2000s, and then to chrome in 2010 or so. I am: the masses.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2019, 04:07:06 AM
I switched to Firefox in the mid-2000s, and then to chrome in 2010 or so. I am: the masses.

+1

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2019, 05:28:45 AM
The main reason I find the British snow-panic so funny is that at least around these parts they deal with it excellently, on the roads at least. They grit and salt so much and there are so many cars that snow only stays on the roads as long as it's actually falling in sufficient quantities. In 3 years of driving I've had one evening with somewhat dicey driving conditions due to that, and that's all.

Ok, they don't care that much about clearing sidewalks but I attribute that to not being used to it, and to remote building managers.

Today, I think a lot of schools were over-eager to close. Take one in Maidenhead, which is pretty close to where I live. BURIED, BURIED I tell yout:

Its less the school itself and more where staff and students live.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I really like Mike Duncan's podcasts but one jarring thing for me is he pronounces clique as "click".  I thought it was just an individual oddity of his speech, but it turns out lots of Americans do as well.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2019, 01:19:44 PM
I really like Mike Duncan's podcasts but one jarring thing for me is he pronounces clique as "click".  I thought it was just an individual oddity of his speech, but it turns out lots of Americans do as well.

Proper French pronunciation.  :frog:

ulmont

Yeah, that's the common American (and French, apparently) pronunciation.  Do you say "cleek"?

mongers

Quote from: ulmont on February 02, 2019, 05:27:37 PM

Yeah, that's the common American (and French, apparently) pronunciation.  Do you say "cleek"?

Probably, it's certainly the mispronunciation here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

I've heard "cleek" but "click" is much more common.

If my memory is correct, back when I was in school, it was usually pronounced "cleek" but at that time it was more-or-less considered a foreign term, much like "de jure" or "nyet", but now it's more commonly used and considered an English word, the pronunciation has shifted to "click".