News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

QuoteWhat action are you referring to?  I think you mean her non action - which is really the point Yi and the Guardian article are making.  All things being equal the City was always going to dominate.  Btw there is also an article about how cities have come to dominate the world economy in last weeks edition of the Guardian magazine that is worth a read.  After the age of deregulation and globalization it was inevitable, for the reasons Yi has explained.

There are cities other than London in the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Mark Zuckerburg has really let all that super-villainy go to his head:

Facebook's Plans for Space Lasers Revealed

:o :o :o

;)

I was reading this article and wondering why they weren't going with maser rather than laser; since microwaves have much greater atmospheric penetration than visible light (unless you pick the wavelength in the absorption spectrum of water vapor.)  Then I realized that you have to license microwave spectrum; but no one can license visible light (yet...)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Space lasers are one thing, but is does he want sharks with lasers attached to their heads?

Tamas

I like the photo of the plight of the Welsh ice cream truck :D

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/31/heavy-snow-disrupts-travel-on-coldest-day-in-uk-for-seven-years

While unrelated to snow, there was a major disturbance on my commuting route today. A 70 years old man died in an accident involving a lorry and two cars that a section of the M25 closed for like 7 hours. It made my 40 minutes motorway commute turn into a two hour possible zig-zag slog through London's outskirts, so I worked from home.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Fortunately we were spared the snow up here.  Just really cool ice fog.

Tamas

The main reason I find the British snow-panic so funny is that at least around these parts they deal with it excellently, on the roads at least. They grit and salt so much and there are so many cars that snow only stays on the roads as long as it's actually falling in sufficient quantities. In 3 years of driving I've had one evening with somewhat dicey driving conditions due to that, and that's all.

Ok, they don't care that much about clearing sidewalks but I attribute that to not being used to it, and to remote building managers.

Today, I think a lot of schools were over-eager to close. Take one in Maidenhead, which is pretty close to where I live. BURIED, BURIED I tell yout:

Syt

I once was at an Indian restaurant in Maidenhead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

@Tamas - I think they secretly enjoy all the cosy drama  :bowler:

Maladict

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on February 01, 2019, 08:13:31 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 01, 2019, 08:01:46 AM
RIP Jeremy Hardy  :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47056671

:(

He was at times brilliant on 'The News Quiz'.

Yeah, the main reason I listened to it. I had been noticing his absence lately.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.