News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I wonder if there is just something evil about easily accessible hired cars that attracts evil/is self-perpetuating. Cab drivers and Uber seem two sides of same coin.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2018, 04:18:01 AM
I wonder if there is just something evil about easily accessible hired cars that attracts evil/is self-perpetuating. Cab drivers and Uber seem two sides of same coin.

Well, kinda' but there is an important difference: the problem with Uber is their company culture and some highly questionable policies like reporting stuff to police and whatnot. But that's where it ends.

With traditional taxi companies, you have all that, plus (usually) heavy legislative backing to restrict competition and thus disadvantage the customer.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on July 26, 2018, 04:58:28 AM

Well, kinda' but there is an important difference: the problem with Uber is their company culture and some highly questionable policies like reporting stuff to police and whatnot. But that's where it ends.

With traditional taxi companies, you have all that, plus (usually) heavy legislative backing to restrict competition and thus disadvantage the customer.

Well, there's a happy medium between a completely deregulated service, with all the safety concerns entailed, and a quasi-medieval guild system like the way cab services operate over here.

That said, over here Über et al have to submit to some basic regulations (mandatory passenger insurance, obtaining a commercial driver license) that I think are close to that happy medium.

celedhring

1,000 cabs are blocking the roads around the harbor now  :lol:

Tamas

The Hungarian government yielded much quicker to the taxi thugs a few years ago and in effect banned Uber (they didn't outright, just set requirements like you have to offer a booking service via phone dispatcher and such). I wonder how long Barcelona will last.

celedhring

Oh, Barcelona already yielded. It's just that the instrument of surrender (new local regulations that, like you say happened in Hungary, made in practice impossible for ridesharers to operate), was deemed abusive and suspended by the Catalan Supreme Court. Cab drivers now want the court to reverse its decision (they are expected rule over the appeal in the next few days)

Pedrito

About scum taxi drivers, I've just recently read about the so called VomitGate, in which Uber drivers fake photos of damaged car interiors, and charge the passengers for the damages saying they vomited in the car while intoxicated.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

L.

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Uber is bad, good job for the scums of Barcelona.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I don't think they are at all.  They're different kinds of scum, and neither is unique. 

Cab drivers are part of a rent-seeking guild, without any "ensuring quality" fig leaf.  Few guilds that rely purely on political power to keep their sinecure are particularly pleasant, thankfully we have few of them left. 

Uber is just yet another tech company run by brilliant young assholes who have not been humbled yet, and think the world belongs to them.  It's not a problem unique to just ride-sharing tech companies.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I hope that Queen film with the Mr. Robot dude is good! Although I'm always hesitant about Hollywood biopics, at least the music will be good.

Tamas

Don't remind of Mr. Robot :bleeding:

Josquius

Didn't like it? Most seem to rate it highly.
I lost track halfway through alas.

Quote from: celedhring on July 27, 2018, 06:01:47 AM
I hope that Queen film with the Mr. Robot dude is good! Although I'm always hesitant about Hollywood biopics, at least the music will be good.
It looks awful 😔
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

You hate everything, you're Seedy's replacement & Tim's opposite.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Third day of taxi protests.

That's the second busiest thoroughfare in Barcelona, and the entryway into the city from the littoral. The city is collapsing. The mayor is having an emergency meeting with the taxi unions right now.  :lol: