And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 16, 2017, 12:02:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2017, 11:43:06 AM
A few pages back you'll see my aunt's friend sending a letter to my aunt from one northern English village to another via the Falkland Islands.
Yours is sort of going in the correct direction right?

Yeah it is now.  Once they got the weird 600 mile Minnesota detour out of the way, it started back in the right direction. 

Actually now that I'm looking at a map, I wonder if they flew it up there to stick it on a truck headed down I-35, since that highway goes through both Minneapolis and San Antonio.  The little town in Kansas (Emporia) looks like it's on/very close to 35 too.

This is what happens when there isn't a Prime option for shipping.  Ugh.  How the hell do you route a letter from one town in England to another via the Falkland Islands?

The town's name is South Stanley.
Its a conceivable mix up for a letter coming from abroad, perhaps even one from another region of the UK, but within the county....
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2017, 12:13:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2017, 11:58:32 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 16, 2017, 11:28:19 AM
Pretty sure FedEx is just fucking with me at this point. 

My awesome new coffee mug started in Indianapolis on Monday, went to Minneapolis, and is now in some small Kansas town south of Topeka.  I mean, I guess that's progress?

FedEx shipments go by FedEx rules, and wherever their distribution centers are, So Be It.  That has nothing to do with you.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it when they eliminate the USPS once and for all.

It isn't like USPS is very reliable and their customer service is well...actively hostile.

It is much cheaper though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2017, 08:30:12 PM
I'm trying to think what sequence of events could have led to a letter like this coming out of a law firm concerning such a high profile client.

Or maybe it's not that unusual.  Cease and desist are cut and paste boilerplate scutwork, no?  Maybe they all read like they were written by Simple Jack, the only difference being this one is sent in the middle of a media storm.

There is no way our firm would let a letter like that go out. Just would not happen, even for the least prominent client.

For someone in the middle of an ongoing media storm? Not a chance.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2017, 08:04:51 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2017, 06:58:45 PM
Hilariously awful letter from Roy Moore's attorney:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/14/roy_moore_s_lawyer_sent_a_apocalypse_of_a_letter_threatening_local_media.html

Why do people love to use the phrase "Please be aware that..."?  It adds nothing, and sounds like you don't really know what you are talking about.

Bad:  Please be aware that I think the phrase "please be aware that" sucks.

Better: I think the phrase "please be aware that" sucks.

Best:  I suck.

It is even more effective when combined with "we believe". As these folks do.

"Please be aware that we believe ... [X] and [Y]"

Automatic answer:

"I'm now aware that you believe a lot of things. Why should I care what you believe?"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

"Please be aware" does have it's place.  It's a way of saying "we are now putting you on notice that", but sounds slightly more polite.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2017, 04:03:48 PM
"Please be aware" does have it's place.  It's a way of saying "we are now putting you on notice that", but sounds slightly more polite.

"Putting you on notice that" is also from an age when lawyers were paid by the word.

CountDeMoney

"Be advised" is used by cops, and is even worse.

Ed Anger

The first fruitcake of the season arrived. Ugh.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Japan is going to hell. Soon there will be riots in the streets. Anarchy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42009839
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
Japan is going to hell. Soon there will be riots in the streets. Anarchy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42009839

Seppuku for the guilty ones!

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2017, 06:58:45 PM
Hilariously awful letter from Roy Moore's attorney:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/14/roy_moore_s_lawyer_sent_a_apocalypse_of_a_letter_threatening_local_media.html

Thought you guys might get a laugh out of this email I just got from a partner at my firm, suggesting we add the letter to our precedent system.  :lol:

"This is a story that is doing the legal and news rounds today; here is one of several sites reporting on Judge Moore's lawyer, personal injury attorney Trent Garmon of Birmingham, Alabama:  https://goo.gl/Q6g4hc

... and here is the demand letter (to be added to the precedent system?) that people are talking about:  https://goo.gl/K6gVp3 "