And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2017, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: dps on May 06, 2017, 04:38:01 PM
Job contracts are barely a thing in America.  The vast majority of workers don't have any formal employment contracts;  usually they just apply to unionized jobs (which are what, 12% of all jobs in America?).

Yup.  The closest thing to a contract most of us will see is an employment handbook, which lays out what they can fire you for.

What exactly does contract mean here? Surely there's an agreement?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Saw 6-7 jetskis speeding along the habour, thought I hope they'll be fined heavily for that. Turns out they all got arrested. One of them had hit a boat killing a girl and injuring 7 others 5 minutes earlier. Now I hope they'll all be thrown in jail.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on May 06, 2017, 06:52:20 PM
Saw 6-7 jetskis speeding along the habour, thought I hope they'll be fined heavily for that. Turns out they all got arrested. One of them had hit a boat killing a girl and injuring 7 others 5 minutes earlier. Now I hope they'll all be thrown in jail.

The fact that they sailed off after causing the accident makes them not only irresponsible idiots, but straight up despicable.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on May 06, 2017, 06:52:20 PM

That's sickening.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Hope they get at least 3 weeks!  :mad:

Ed Anger

Damn, what a borefest. Plus my Migraines are bad today.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

But it's a Saturday night in southwest Ohio, Ed.  Put on your best wife beater t-shirt, toss the brood into the station wagon, and head on down to the Dairy Queen for some frozen chocolate bananas.

Ed Anger

I'm not sugaring up those kids at this late hour. I'd have a prison riot in a couple of hours. I might get a shiv in the back.

CountDeMoney

Fine, give them yogurt with fruit.  Watch them melt down.

Ed Anger

And the kids like Blizzards. Reece cup blizzards.

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2017, 07:52:07 PM

Jeezus, crack blizzards
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2017, 07:52:07 PM

Who can blame them?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2017, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2017, 09:54:50 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 05, 2017, 05:52:04 PM
How are participation rates doing?

Declining in both Canada and the US especially for younger people looking for work - which is the main reason the unemployment rate in both countries is decreasing.
I think that's way too strong of a statement, maybe even to the point of being completely factually false.  It's a perennial argument, usually by the political opposition supporters or habitual pessimists, that unemployment numbers are artificially low because a lot of unemployed are not counted as unemployed.  It's always a bullshit argument, at least in US.

Tell that to StatsCan

QuoteThe federal agency also found that the unemployment rate fell to 6.5 per cent last month, its lowest level since October 2008 as fewer youth searched for work.

Statistics Canada says the drop in youth participation helped push the jobless rate down by 0.2 percentage points even though overall employment was almost unchanged.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/canadas-unemployment-rate-falls-to-6-5-per-cent/

DGuller

That's one monthly movement.  Even in US there are times when both employment and unemployment numbers go down in the same month.  Given stated statistical uncertainty, that's guaranteed to happen occasionally. 

I don't know the details of how it's measured in Canada, but I imagine statistical noise must be even greater than in US due to lower population (unless they keep the sample size at US levels), if it's measured in roughly the same way.  Whatever the reason, drawing conclusions based on one single monthly report in unwise.