News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 17, 2017, 12:44:34 AM
Sadly, no.  Unofficial foreign travel would complicate my hiring process, which is a major concern as I retire in 12 months, 14 days.  I do not desire any weird bullshit...

Retire? At 41? Did you found your own tech start-up or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

20 years military gives a nice pension.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 17, 2017, 09:37:53 AM

What he said...I'll retire around 48, and I could kick myself for not just joining earlier.

That said...while better than most, the military pension, for enlisted anyway, is not much to live on without substantial savings and keeping a low cost of living.  Which is why many retirees flock around low-cost areas with military bases (for the hospitals/clinics/commissaries).

But still, a lot more security than most.

Valmy

I was not aware Ank was still in the service.

But if you retire at 41 that means you are going to be working at another career for the next 20-30 years I presume.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 09:57:35 AM
I was not aware Ank was still in the service.

He keeps talking about retirement, but in 20 years he'll be appointed Navy secretary by Pres. Chelsea Clinton. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Or pad the income by being a Walmart greeter/Home Depot/Trader Joes manager.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 17, 2017, 10:02:46 AM
Or pad the income by being a Walmart greeter/Home Depot/Trader Joes manager.

Ank will be a Community College instructor or something :P

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2017, 12:41:20 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 17, 2017, 12:35:02 AM
So, I have (yet another) breakup, and all the ex-FWB types start blowing up my phone.  Unreal.  It's like there was a psychic disorder in the realm that all picked up on.  Very, very odd... yet not totally a bad thing.

As far as super powers go there's worse.

Are you still on schedule for visiting Vienna this year?

Sadly, no.  Unofficial foreign travel would complicate my hiring process, which is a major concern as I retire in 12 months, 14 days.  I do not desire any weird bullshit...

Where are you looking at getting hired Ank?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Service Guarantees Citizenship.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2017, 10:22:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2017, 12:41:20 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 17, 2017, 12:35:02 AM
So, I have (yet another) breakup, and all the ex-FWB types start blowing up my phone.  Unreal.  It's like there was a psychic disorder in the realm that all picked up on.  Very, very odd... yet not totally a bad thing.

As far as super powers go there's worse.

Are you still on schedule for visiting Vienna this year?

Where are you looking at getting hired Ank?

The Feds.  :)
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 17, 2017, 09:47:34 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 17, 2017, 09:37:53 AM

What he said...I'll retire around 48, and I could kick myself for not just joining earlier.

That said...while better than most, the military pension, for enlisted anyway, is not much to live on without substantial savings and keeping a low cost of living.  Which is why many retirees flock around low-cost areas with military bases (for the hospitals/clinics/commissaries).

But still, a lot more security than most.

Correct.

Many, if not most, folks in the military are pretty retarded about money and get spoiled by a regular paycheck... which they or their dependapotamus blow through every two weeks.  The usual stupid drive to consume, consume, consume that afflicts all of the USA.

I have my "Ping-Pong" fund of side investments and am also part-owner of my local pub, so there's assets in play outside of the retirement pay... and I plan to be employed as soon as I retire... and the federal hiring process can be painfully S....L....O....W.....
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Valmy

Isn't there currently a freeze on federal hiring?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 03:48:55 PM
Isn't there currently a freeze on federal hiring?

Yes, but not for my field... :yeah:

Barrister

I'm pretty sure your field is in big demand these days... :shifty:

Edit: wait - I confused you and Tonitrus there for a minute.  I thought I was making a Trump-Russia joke. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2017, 03:51:52 PM
I'm pretty sure your field is in big demand these days... :shifty:

Edit: wait - I confused you and Tonitrus there for a minute.  I thought I was making a Trump-Russia joke. :(

My field is fixing broken missions.  Geography makes no difference to me in my little bailiwick.