News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Or alternatively, perhaps dudes write songs to get laid and chicks don't have to. :D

CountDeMoney

Your conclusion is sound, and meets peer review approval. 

Valmy

Um while normal dudes have trouble getting laid star musicians clearly need little help.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 08:43:01 PM
Um while normal dudes have trouble getting laid star musicians clearly need little help.

Thanks Captain Literal.

Jacob

This is the kind of quality conversation that keeps me coming back to languish  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 08:47:11 PM

Thanks Captain Literal.

No I am pretty sure Barry Manilow was really trying to get laid by somebody named Mandy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 09:06:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 08:47:11 PM

Thanks Captain Literal.

No I am pretty sure Barry Manilow was really trying to get laid by somebody named Mandy.

Yeah.  Mandy Patinkin.  You suck, Valmy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 08:41:09 PM
Or alternatively, perhaps dudes write songs to get laid and chicks don't have to. :D

Yeah, all those rich musicians really needed that extra edge.

Jacob

Alternately, most pop culture fits into the patriarchal model privileging the male perspective. Male singers tend to portray what it's like to be a man yearning for a some chick, while female singers tend to model objects of male desire and mentioning some guy's name will burst the bubble for male listener that the female singer really wants to fuck them.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 08:28:10 PM
I can't think of a single chick song that mentions a dude by name.

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando

You know feeling good was good enough for me,
Good enough for me and Bobby McGee

He says his name is William but I'm sure it's really Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2017, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 08:28:10 PM
I can't think of a single chick song that mentions a dude by name.

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando

You know feeling good was good enough for me,
Good enough for me and Bobby McGee

He says his name is William but I'm sure it's really Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy

Bobby McGee was a woman.  :secret:

Eddie Teach

Eh, the lyrics always refer to him as male.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2017, 10:57:57 PM
Eh, the lyrics always refer to him as male.

Not originally...

QuoteIn 1969, Foster called up Kristofferson with the song title idea with the hook that Bobby was a woman. Kristofferson apparently took his own liberties, changing McKee to McGee, and invented a road song story about a pair of travellers who drifted apart. In Joplin's version, she switched the genders and made Bobby a man.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2017, 10:38:50 PM
Alternately, most pop culture fits into the patriarchal model privileging the male perspective. Male singers tend to portray what it's like to be a man yearning for a some chick, while female singers tend to model objects of male desire and mentioning some guy's name will burst the bubble for male listener that the female singer really wants to fuck them.

Are you implying that love songs sung by female artists are marketed and designed to be popular to heterosexual men? Because that seems ridiculous.

In any case there are very few love pop songs period, and especially in the past 30 years, that mention somebody by name by either gender so we are working with a pretty small sample size.

garbon

Alanis - Unsent

Song that details events to each of her ex boyfriends by name.

Lady Gaga - Alejandro
Fiona Apple - Jonathan
Dido - Mary's in India

Granted, I think only first two made it onto top 40 radio and first 3 are all ostensibly break up songs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.