News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Male singers also try to fit into some female mold of a desirable man.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2017, 10:38:50 PM
Alternately, most pop culture fits into the patriarchal model privileging the male perspective. Male singers tend to portray what it's like to be a man yearning for a some chick, while female singers tend to model objects of male desire and mentioning some guy's name will burst the bubble for male listener that the female singer really wants to fuck them.

Alternatively, analyzing the world through Yi's warped sexual lens ends in error.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2017, 09:16:25 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2017, 10:38:50 PM
Alternately, most pop culture fits into the patriarchal model privileging the male perspective. Male singers tend to portray what it's like to be a man yearning for a some chick, while female singers tend to model objects of male desire and mentioning some guy's name will burst the bubble for male listener that the female singer really wants to fuck them.

Alternatively, analyzing the world through Yi's warped sexual lens ends in error.

Agreed... except I don't think it's so much his a sexual lens as his tendency to see every interaction in econ-101-supply-and-demand terms.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 11:09:30 PM
Are you implying that love songs sung by female artists are marketed and designed to be popular to heterosexual men? Because that seems ridiculous.

Uh... yes? Some of them anyways. And many others are designed and marketed to appeal to women's concept of what it takes to be pleasing to a man.

QuoteIn any case there are very few love pop songs period, and especially in the past 30 years, that mention somebody by name by either gender so we are working with a pretty small sample size.

This whole conversation premise is pretty spurious. Great for shooting the shit, but probably not worth taking too serious :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2017, 12:28:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2017, 09:16:25 AM

Agreed... except I don't think it's so much his a sexual lens as his tendency to see every interaction in econ-101-supply-and-demand terms.

Erections have consequences.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2017, 12:28:11 PM

What in the world does "men look for individuals and women look for types" have to do with economics?

Savonarola

I saw a billboard which read: 

PEACE
LOVE
TRUTH

WWW.WHYISLAM.ORG

And I immediately thought, "Ugh, what an awful thing to revive and why are poets always so full of themselves?"  Then realized it was supposed to be WHY-ISLAM not WHY-I-SLAM.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Mary had a little moose lamb

Ed Anger

Best sign I've seen recently is at the Sakura Japanese steakhouse in Springfield Ohio.

"Join us for Runch"

Amusing and racist. :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2017, 08:48:26 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2017, 08:47:06 AM
181 years ago today Anne Boleyn was arrested for capital inconvenience.

:hmm:

Couple hundred years here is there is just an eyeblink for g.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2017, 12:42:55 PM
Best sign I've seen recently is at the Sakura Japanese steakhouse in Springfield Ohio.

"Join us for Runch"

Did the billboard use a pic of the "Tokyo Kid" ?

If not, there is room for improvement!

Just take this poster and replace the writing on the card the Kid is holding with "Join us for Runch - Sakura Japanese steakhouse". Instant ad! 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TOKYO_KID_SAY_-_NARA_-_515860.jpg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I love american racist war posters. :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2017, 12:42:55 PM

"Join us for Runch"

Does that count as a racist caricature or cultural appropriation of a speech impediment. it's so hard to tell these days.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2017, 12:37:23 PM
What in the world does "men look for individuals and women look for types" have to do with economics?

Nothing.

Not sure where I got that from. Got my wires crossed, I blame browsing on my phone....

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2017, 12:52:47 PM
I love american racist war posters. :)
I own an original copy of this one:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points