And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
Yup.
Stupid how people just let the europhobes get away with the undemocratic EU thing

Seriously?  Just look how many steps and levels are inbetween the electorate, and the Executive.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It's a Rube Goldberg horror show.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2017, 03:34:18 PM
Seriously?  Just look how many steps and levels are inbetween the electorate, and the Executive.

If there were no levels or steps it would mean the end of the national governments :mellow:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 03:54:27 PM

If there was no levels or steps it would mean the end of the national governments :mellow:

Hey, you can argue it's by design for that very reason.  But it's not terribly democratic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2017, 03:55:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 03:54:27 PM

If there was no levels or steps it would mean the end of the national governments :mellow:

Hey, you can argue it's by design for that very reason.  But it's not terribly democratic.

Yeah but it is not not democratic. It just means that the real power is held by the national governments whose leaders are also democratically elected.

But the EU has always been about trying to achieve multiple contradictory things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
Yup.
Stupid how people just let the europhobes get away with the undemocratic EU thing

It's complicated but everyone is ultimately accountable to the electorate.
As opposed to the UK where we have absolutely zero say on the civil service (European Commission) and some of the Lords (with the others being appointed weirdly).
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2017, 04:05:29 PM
As opposed to the UK where we have absolutely zero say on the civil service (European Commission) and some of the Lords (with the others being appointed weirdly).

I don't see how on the one hand you can describe the EU as ultimately accountable to the electorate but not the House of Lords.  People who you voted for (or people who you voted for voting for people) choose people in both cases.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM

I don't see how on the one hand you can describe the EU as ultimately accountable to the electorate but not the House of Lords.  People who you voted for (or people who you voted for voting for people) choose people in both cases.

:yes:

And the House of Lords is pretty weak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM

Not all of them. The Lord Spiritual remain as do some hereditary peers.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yeah but they are a small minority of the peers.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 04:32:13 PM
Thats why I only said some of the Lords rather than blasting the House of Lords as a whole.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2017, 04:34:03 PM
Thats why I only said some of the Lords rather than blasting the House of Lords as a whole.

It comes across as a bit of a nitpick though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2017, 04:34:03 PM

It comes across as a bit of a nitpick though.
I prefer to say I was being a completionist :p
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Sirens going off. Sitting in the basement and the cat is giving me a pissed off look. I could've let you stay up there you fuck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

A tornado would simply speed the ascent to its rightful place in the heavens.  Both figuratively and literally.