News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'll make it go around corners. I might take out the house too close to the curve in the road however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Learned about the "Pittsburg left" on NPR the other day, during a story about Carnegie Mellon's self driving car center.  1st person in the left turn lane gets to cut in front of oncoming traffic.  They were talking about the difficulty of teaching that to an AI.

PDH

The AI's are gonna love the "Berkeley Left" where the cars in the turn lane keep creeping forward bit by bit while the oncoming traffic keeps driving further to the right around them.  Eventually someone on the oncoming chickens out and 2-3 cars get to zoom around a left turn.  Cycle then repeats.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

The "Pittsburgh Left," aka "Congrats, You Just Sent Your Baby's Momma to Shock Trauma, Dumbass"

Grey Fox

Try teaching AI to avoid jaywalking pedestrians in a snow storm on montreal roads.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

People might reform their behavior if they keep dying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2017, 08:34:06 AM

History has proven that to be inaccurate. see smoking.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2017, 08:36:36 AM

Too long between event and death.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

There is more instant feedback when it comes to getting hit by a truck.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2017, 08:51:03 AM

Yeah, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it again (they'd be dead :P ) its the casual observer who has to be convinced not to do it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2017, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2017, 08:51:03 AM

Yeah, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it again (they'd be dead :P ) its the casual observer who has to be convinced not to do it.

Seeing 2 people died on Oxford Street* in hit and runs has made me much more cautious about trying to dart ahead of traffic. (In fact, I basically just don't do it now on this road.)

*well one covered up with EMTs around and then one just the pools of blood left in the road after person was taken away.

Josquius

A historical learning from this weekend.
This guy.

Henri Guisan, leader of the Swiss army during WW2.

But how about that moustache.
So very...Hitlery.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

It's a shame HItler had to poison an entire moustache style for generations.  If you go back to the 20s and 30s it was quite popular.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Yeah, even commies wore it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.