News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Never been to Lorraine, so I have no idea.

Strassbourg, Colmar and some of the picturesque villages are well worth a trip to Alsace. Excellent food and wine too.

Colmar:

Syt

I expect Disney's Belle to come dancing and singing around the corner.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 03:19:01 AM
Is there anything worth seeing in Alsace-Lorraine?
I'll be passing through on Sunday/Monday. Should stop and gawp a bit at what was so worth fighting over.
Mulhouse city hall

Riquewihr.

Colmar
see bost of Zanza
Belfort

Nice landscape from in the Rhine Valley if you look direction Vosges.

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 11, 2016, 08:52:38 PM
Larch is ready to lecture you on fish. Beware!

All fine for me! Kudos to CC for taking the fisheries' sustainability into account for his shopping.  :thumbsup:

And yup, cheese & fish don't really mix well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2016, 12:14:37 AM
Found out today that Wally World makes eyeglasses for 29 clams.

1960's Rat Pack Hipster-to-English translation please, Deano.

Josquius

This colmar looks rather nice.

And I will be avoiding all eu stuff in strassbourg. It shouldn't be <_<
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Between Strasbourg, Colmar and Sélestat (bus shuttle from Sélestat train station), there is the Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle. La Grande Illusion was shot there so maybe not for Tyr but Savonarola ;) Swedes also like this Castle for historical reasons linked to the 30 Years' War.

http://www.haut-koenigsbourg.fr/en/information/haut-koenigsbourg-shuttle/

I second all above suggestions namely Riquewihr but a rented car is much more practical there. Riquewihr is also on the Alsatian Wine road and one of the most beautiful villages of France. Not far from the Castle by car, again.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 07:42:52 AM
This colmar looks rather nice.

And I will be avoiding all eu stuff in strassbourg. It shouldn't be <_<

The EU shouldn't be, or it shouldn't be in Strasbourg?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 06:44:16 AM

:huh:

Walmart makes eyeglasses starting at 29 dollars.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 03:19:01 AM
Is there anything worth seeing in Alsace-Lorraine?
I'll be passing through on Sunday/Monday. Should stop and gawp a bit at what was so worth fighting over.

Been many years since I've been there, but great region.  Stop for a meal - food and wine are first wine
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Do they accept non-mollusk based currencies?  I'd like new glasses, mine make me look like a dork.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2016, 11:33:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 06:44:16 AM

:huh:

Walmart makes eyeglasses starting at 29 dollars.

Yeah it wasn't exactly cryptic.  Anywho, Ed advises against it.  I almost did it, but found a good online option that was cheap and surprisingly good.  If you can wait for them to be shipped from China you're good to go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2016, 01:57:22 PM
Yeah it wasn't exactly cryptic.  Anywho, Ed advises against it.  I almost did it, but found a good online option that was cheap and surprisingly good.  If you can wait for them to be shipped from China you're good to go.

Now you tell me.  :mad:

Shoot me the link bitte.  Might need to replace my driving glasses too.

Have you ever seen someone working at Wally's who wasn't ugly?  Except for the occaisional Somali hottie I don't think I have.  Three Lee sisters working at the eyeglass kiosk today.