News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 04:48:14 AMTo be fair speaking about "the English" as a group is always a great initial marker of wrongness.
Northerners have far more in common with Scots and Welsh than we do southerners.

Isn't that true of basically any grouping by geography?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on Today at 04:59:36 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 04:48:14 AMTo be fair speaking about "the English" as a group is always a great initial marker of wrongness.
Northerners have far more in common with Scots and Welsh than we do southerners.

Isn't that true of basically any grouping by geography?

No.
You can make generalisations of the British for instance. But English specifically draws a line in the wrong place.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on Today at 04:59:36 AMIsn't that true of basically any grouping by geography?
Yes. And actually (whisper it) the differences even between English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, far less between groups of English people, are basically angels dancing on the head of a pin :ph34r:

I suspect that basically every single country has a similar difference of Northerner and Southerner.
Let's bomb Russia!