Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 03:51:16 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 03:32:51 PM
If they don't have an option for "professional degree," is a J.D. equivalent to a doctorate or a master's?  I'd think master's, but it has the word "doctor" right there.  Also WTF does "higher degree" mean, when it comes on the list after "doctorate"?  Nobel laureate?  I'm pretty sure Paul Krugman isn't applying to be a loan coordinator at a Bank of America.

It's a bachellor's degree.  You aren't required to get an undergrad before giong into law (though most do, myself included).  There are separate programs for a Masters in Law and a Doctor of Law.

Nope.  It's an absolute requirement in the United States, if you're going to an ABA approved school.

QuoteI'll spare you my rant about the whole "J.D." name though.

Law doctor.  Makes sense to me.  Although I went with master's degree.  It is not a bachelor's degree.

:frusty:

It is NOT a master's degree.  A LL.M. is a master's degree in law.

Years ago they only handed out LL.B.s for law in the US.  There are still a few lawyers around with one.  Then they switched the name of it to J.D., but that mean the program was any different than what it was before.

A master's degree is postgraduate work.  A law degree is undergraduate, as it's your first introduction to the topic.

Now as you did point out, the even more proper designation would be to call it a "professional" degree.  But just because that option is missing doesn't mean you have a master's degree.

For what its worth, when filling out the Canadian Census earlier this year, I noted that when asked about your education they even had to make a note saying a law degree was an undergrad degree.  You're clearly not the only law grad with delusions of grandeur. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: BarristerA master's degree is postgraduate work.

As is a J.D., in the United States.  I could have gone to graduate school and gotten an M.A. in history.  Instead, I went to law school.  They are equivalent in regard to level, because they have equivalent requirements.

I fully agree that the term professional degree is far preferable, but in its absence, there is neither rhyme nor reason in insisting that I have two bachelor's degrees, one in history and one in law, any more than there would be for me to insist an M.D. was a bachelor's degree in medicine, if I had instead studied biology and thereafter went to medical school.

That said, I'm not entirely sure if the "higher degree" option is not meant to represent the spectrum of professional degrees.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

Annnnnnd no doorbell. <_< I'm going to order something else and ambush this douchebag when he tries to just drop stuff off out there. 

Edit:  Well I guess he could have been like the other dude who wouldn't ring the doorbell, and would instead just stick those "Sorry we missed you!" notifications on the door and leave.  Seriously wtf.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 08, 2011, 04:40:52 PM
Annnnnnd no doorbell. <_< I'm going to order something else and ambush this douchebag when he tries to just drop stuff off out there.

Do it.  I bet there's a lot of cool shit in his truck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 04:39:16 PM
Quote from: BarristerA master's degree is postgraduate work.

As is a J.D., in the United States.  I could have gone to graduate school and gotten an M.A. in history.  Instead, I went to law school.  They are equivalent in regard to level, because they have equivalent requirements.

I fully agree that the term professional degree is far preferable, but in its absence, there is neither rhyme nor reason in insisting that I have two bachelor's degrees, one in history and one in law, any more than there would be for me to insist an M.D. was a bachelor's degree in medicine, if I had instead studied biology and thereafter went to medical school.

That said, I'm not entirely sure if the "higher degree" option is not meant to represent the spectrum of professional degrees.

A MA in History is a master's degree because you already have a degree in history, and the masters is furthering your study.

But because what you study before law school is completely unrelated to law school, it is merely a second undergraduate degree.  Just because US lawschools got all douchebaggy and started inflating their degrees doesn't change that fundamental nature of what you are studying.

Josephus

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 03:25:56 PM
What's the best smiley to use as a "two fingered salute" aimed at Raz and Josephus?

:lol:

I really am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Never read fan fiction of anything and never played much role playing stuff except for D&D.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2011, 04:52:39 PM
What's the best smiley to use as a "two fingered salute" aimed at Raz and Josephus?

I really am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Never read fan fiction of anything and never played much role playing stuff except for D&D.

We should team up and beat up the nerds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Beeb:

If I could walk into law school after high school, I would totally agree, but... I don't think we'll see eye-to-eye on this. -_-

Out of curiosity, though, if you don't need an undergrad degree to get into a Canadian law school, is law school longer?  Like, are there any gen ed requirements, or do they just say, "Here, Contracts, Torts, Property, Crim Law.  Enjoy, 13th graders."

(And I don't have delusions of grandeur! :lol: I'd be a terrible lawyer, and I was never the best student, but by God, I feel like it's okay to have some pride in my fucking accomplishment.)
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2011, 12:05:15 PM
I'm not geeky enough to understand that picture. I see that's Boba Fett?? in the foreground, but what's the rest of it?

Boba Fett, Frodo Baggins, the movie version of the Barad-Dur, a mounted ringwraith (probably) and Tie Fighter.

It's amusing if you're into Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings; perhaps a little more so if you realise one of the Star Wars EU authors obsessions resulted in Boba Fett's resurrection from the belly of the Sarlacc.
Boba Fett was a scrub.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 04:55:34 PM

but by God, I feel like it's okay to have some pride in my fucking accomplishment.)

Pfft if Martinus can do it, well....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 08, 2011, 04:53:43 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2011, 04:52:39 PM

We should team up and beat up the nerds.

Sounds like a plan.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on July 08, 2011, 04:57:46 PM

but by God, I feel like it's okay to have some pride in my fucking accomplishment.)

Pfft if Martinus can do it, well....

Well, it's Poland, and he can read and write.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Beeb:

If I could walk into law school after high school, I would totally agree, but... I don't think we'll see eye-to-eye on this. -_-

Out of curiosity, though, if you don't need an undergrad degree to get into a Canadian law school, is law school longer?  Like, are there any gen ed requirements, or do they just say, "Here, Contracts, Torts, Property, Crim Law.  Enjoy, 13th graders."

(And I don't have delusions of grandeur! :lol: I'd be a terrible lawyer, and I was never the best student, but by God, I feel like it's okay to have some pride in my fucking accomplishment.)

Nope - it's the same three year program.  It's a minimum of two years university.

Now if there was an actual "pre-law" program you had to study before going to law school THEN it would be a masters level program.  But because getting either a geology degree or a history degree both allow you to go to law school, it isn't the same course of studies.

And of course you should take some pride.  But take pride in the LAW part (or if you must, the Juris part <_<).

katmai

Don't listen to the UKE, be proud of yourself Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 05:04:11 PM
Beeb:

Nope - it's the same three year program.  It's a minimum of two years university.

Now if there was an actual "pre-law" program you had to study before going to law school THEN it would be a masters level program.  But because getting either a geology degree or a history degree both allow you to go to law school, it isn't the same course of studies.

And of course you should take some pride.  But take pride in the LAW part (or if you must, the Juris part <_<).

A med student once told me you didn't need any pre-med to get into medical school (some science and math requirements, but not a degree focus).  He might've been wrong, I never looked it up myself, as I was locked into my mistake by that point. :frusty:

Quote from: katmaiDon't listen to the UKE, be proud of yourself Ide.

:hug:
Kinemalogue