And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 06:22:29 PM
OK, that's it.

The hockey thing? I get it.  It's cultural.
The whole conservative Canadian thing? Eclectic in its contradiction.
Your knowledge of anime?  Well, that can be chalked up to a generational thing.
The battleships thing?  Outmoded thinking, but quaint.
Irrational sugardaddy defense of Timmay? It's because you don't have kids.  Retarded ones.

But this.  This crosses the line.  Fucking comictard.

I demand you change your avatar.  You're not worthy of RMN.

POTM
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 05, 2011, 12:03:22 PM
You fellows are talking like superpowers are consistent and follow physical laws rather than the needs of the cartoonist.

Of course, they were spacefaring, sort of.  Because you've got the Daxamites.  Who decided to live under another red sun.  They're an intensely stupid people.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 08:05:26 AM
Superman's powers are fueled by energy off the high end of the spectrum, ultraviolet and such.  Perhaps Superman would be more powerful if Earth had a white or blue sun, but that's not important as humans couldn't survive in orbit around an OBA star.  However, at the same time, his powers have a vulnerability to large doses of infrared, which is how class-M stars emit three-quarters of their radiation.  Now, on earth it's not really an issue as his exposure to UV balances out any exposure to the infrared wavelengths, allowing him to maintain his powers.  However, when given a sudden, massive does of infrared, his body suffers from shock and drops down to his original, low-powered form in an effort to conserve energy.  When the source of infrared is removed, his body returns to its higher-powered state.

Interestingly, it seems that Superman can also draw even more power higher up the spectrum.  For example, in the #1,000,000 event, Superman has been living in the Sun, drawing power from the gamma rays produced by the nuclear fusion there, and is more powerful than ever.
OK, that's it.

Irrational sugardaddy defense of Timmay? It's because you don't have kids.  Retarded ones.

Says the closeted gay with the Queensryche avatar.  Yeah, you rock real hard there, when you can make time between manicures and applying 'product' to your hair.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 07:45:59 PMSays the closeted gay with the Queensryche avatar.  Yeah, you rock real hard there, when you can make time between manicures and applying 'product' to your hair.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.  And American.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 07:58:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 07:45:59 PMSays the closeted gay with the Queensryche avatar.  Yeah, you rock real hard there, when you can make time between manicures and applying 'product' to your hair.
Then don't hate me because I have universal health care, a safe, white, gun-free society and a rewarding personal life.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 07:58:17 PM
Then don't hate me because I have universal health care, a safe, white, gun-free society and a rewarding personal life.

That last point is obviously up for debate, as we have no evidence that you are, in fact, enjoying a rewarding personal life.

For all we know, your wife forces you to sleep in a cage while she makes you watch her fuck a family of Haitian boat people against your will.

Grey Fox

Haitians can't survive the Edmonton cold.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2011, 09:15:43 PM

I'm not sure why this, out of all of the stupid little one-liners here, made me laugh non-stop for the last 5 minutes.  :lol:

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2011, 09:15:43 PM

Like Some Quebecois we know.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 02:53:23 PM
Ha, it turns out the credit card I thought I'd paid the balance off of six months ago had a finance charge added two weeks after I did it and has been riding for half a year.  Oops.  I hope they enjoyed the 47 cents in interest.  That's fucking obnoxious, though, since my credit history will have six missed months of payments on a ten dollar balance. :rolleyes:

This is why credit card companies shouldn't send junk mail, you ignore actual messages.

Why would they want you to make payments? They get the interest, and more importantly, a lower credit score means you pay more on credit card and loan interest.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

OK, that's it.

Comics are forgivable, you should be damning him for the anime.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 05:04:20 PM
After having seen the new JLA cover they're showing off
Link?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 05:04:20 PM
Well, I'd been drifting away from DC for a while, I guess it started when Ted Kord got killed.  Final Crisis chased me away from pretty much everything that didn't include Green Lantern, and even that has been awful lately, as I can't for the life of me figure out what the fuck is happening in Brightest Day, or why I should care.

Because John Constantine and Swamp Thing!  No, you shouldn't care.

QuoteThe Legion keeps getting rebooted, so who knows what the fuck is happening there.  Multiple Batmen was totally retarded, although probably inevitable.  Besides, I hate Grant Morrison.

I actually have a great affection for Morrison, but other than All-Star Superman--which is not the perfect book some credulous critics want it to be, and has at least one major, unforgivable flaw born from a fundamental misunderstanding of the characters--he has absolutely wasted the last five years of his career.  He seems poised to go on wasting it, since I don't think he recognizes any of the flaws in his work, and has never been punished for them.

QuoteAfter having seen the new JLA cover they're showing off, I don't really have any problems with those that I showed, except for Wonder Woman.  The different collar for Superman doesn't bother me, and Flash, Aquaman, Batman and GL have their classic looks on.  Cyborg seems bulked up, but he's a character that's changed a lot over the years and this version of him is close to his classic look.  Wonder Woman just looks weird, and I would rather that they have kept her recent redesign, which was cool.

As for Voodoo, that's sort of weird.  I know that Lee has always had a soft spot for the character, but I just have a hard time seeing interesting stories to be told there.  It strikes me as one of those '12-issues and done' books.  It's also troubling to see the DCU pollute the WSU.  They've only crossed over very well once.

The League costumes aren't terrible, but the Birds of Prey, Titans and Stormwatch (with Martian Manhunter!) ones are pretty bad, and truly awful are the Suicide Squad, wherein Deadshot has been made either a robot ninja in the Mortal Kombat vein, or an Iron Man villain from circa 1987.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 01:50:44 AM
Yeah, they've gotten pretty well-segregated lately, Vertigo and DC.  The only thing I can remember in recent years was when Sandman and Lyta Hall were taken in by Dream when they wiped out half the JSA.
QuoteThe League costumes aren't terrible, but the Birds of Prey, Titans and Stormwatch (with Martian Manhunter!) ones are pretty bad, and truly awful are the Suicide Squad, wherein Deadshot has been made either a robot ninja in the Mortal Kombat vein, or an Iron Man villain from circa 1987.
And Harley Quinn's looks like she's joined the Hellfire Club.  Robin's new costume is pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen, which is a shame because I want to like Brett Booth's work.  The whole feather-cape thing works for precisely one hero:  The Falcon.  As for Stormwatch, you can certainly tell Apollo's orientation from the costume.  He's like the super Village Person on there.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2011, 11:52:35 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 01:50:44 AM
Yeah, they've gotten pretty well-segregated lately, Vertigo and DC.  The only thing I can remember in recent years was when Sandman and Lyta Hall were taken in by Dream when they wiped out half the JSA.

Death was in Action Comics about half a year back.  She checked up on Lex Luthor.  It was actually pretty cool.

Actually, Peter Milligan's writing something called Justice League Dark (yeah, really), which will feature Constantine, along with Zatanna, Deadman, Shade (the Changing one, not the shadow-powered one), and Madame Xanadu.  I assume this is a bad idea, but I guess it might be okay.

QuoteThe League costumes aren't terrible, but the Birds of Prey, Titans and Stormwatch (with Martian Manhunter!) ones are pretty bad, and truly awful are the Suicide Squad, wherein Deadshot has been made either a robot ninja in the Mortal Kombat vein, or an Iron Man villain from circa 1987.
And Harley Quinn's looks like she's joined the Hellfire Club.  Robin's new costume is pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen, which is a shame because I want to like Brett Booth's work.  The whole feather-cape thing works for precisely one hero:  The Falcon.  As for Stormwatch, you can certainly tell Apollo's orientation from the costume.  He's like the super Village Person on there.

Robin's costume really looks like a complete joke, yeah.  Like I almost don't believe that's what not just one, but clearly several, professional people saw and said, "Yeah, that's what the kids are into.  Guys with feathers stitched to their sleeves.  Run it."

Forgetting the costumes, I just can't imagine a universe that has both Apollo and Midnighter and Superman and Batman in it, and one set or the other doesn't wind up dead.

Is it only a matter of time before Booster Gold is hanging out with Dan Dreiberg?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)