And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2011, 12:05:15 PM
I'm not geeky enough to understand that picture. I see that's Boba Fett?? in the foreground, but what's the rest of it?

Boba Fett, Frodo Baggins, the movie version of the Barad-Dur, a mounted ringwraith (probably) and Tie Fighter.

It's amusing if you're into Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings; perhaps a little more so if you realise one of the Star Wars EU authors obsessions resulted in Boba Fett's resurrection from the belly of the Sarlacc.

The first time they did it was in the old Marvel comics. #81. You can thank writer Jo Duffy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2011, 12:23:53 PM
I'm not geeky enough to understand that picture. I see that's Boba Fett?? in the foreground, but what's the rest of it?

Boba Fett, Frodo Baggins, the movie version of the Barad-Dur, a mounted ringwraith (probably) and Tie Fighter.

It's amusing if you're into Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings; perhaps a little more so if you realise one of the Star Wars EU authors obsessions resulted in Boba Fett's resurrection from the belly of the Sarlacc.

The first time they did it was in the old Marvel comics. #81. You can thank writer Jo Duffy.

But he ended up back in the Sarlacc at the end of that story; it's an EU author who had him survive permanently. Karen Traviss, possibly? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

What an odd fixation for the European Union.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2011, 12:46:22 PM

Entertainment

EU (group), a Russian electronic music group
Experience Unlimited (E.U.), an American go-go band
E.U. (TV series), a Hong Kong television show
Europa Universalis, a computer game series
Entropia Universe, a virtual universe
European Union, a playable army in the game Battlefield 2142
Star Wars Expanded Universe

Geography.

eu, the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the European Union
Eu, Seine-Maritime, a town in France
Ecuatoriana de Aviación's IATA code
Eurasian Union for Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
Europa Island's FIPS PUB 10-4 territory code
In French- or Spanish-speaking countries, the United States of America (États-Unis, Estados Unidos)

Language

Eu (digraph), a digraph found in many languages
eu-, a prefix meaning "good, well"
Basque language's ISO 639 alpha-2 language code

Science

Europium, a chemical element with atomic number 63 and symbol Eu
Entropy Unit, non-SI unit of molar energy, e.u. = 4.184 Jmol-1K-1

Universities and colleges

Eastern University (United States), a university in Pennsylvania
Edinburgh University, a university in Scotland
Emory University, a college in Atlanta
Elon University, a college in North Carolina
Ehime University, a university in Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan

Other uses

Ephraim Union, a regional political party in the Indian state of Mizoram
European Union, a German resistance group during WWII
Europium's chemical element symbol
Execution unit, a part of a CPU
Eu, Europinidin, an anthocyanidin
The Sydney University Evangelical Union a large christian student group at Sydney University
Emergency Unit of the Hong Kong Police
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josephus

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 12:52:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2011, 12:46:22 PM

Entertainment

EU (group), a Russian electronic music group
Experience Unlimited (E.U.), an American go-go band
E.U. (TV series), a Hong Kong television show
Europa Universalis, a computer game series
Entropia Universe, a virtual universe
European Union, a playable army in the game Battlefield 2142
Star Wars Expanded Universe

Geography.

eu, the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the European Union
Eu, Seine-Maritime, a town in France
Ecuatoriana de Aviación's IATA code
Eurasian Union for Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
Europa Island's FIPS PUB 10-4 territory code
In French- or Spanish-speaking countries, the United States of America (États-Unis, Estados Unidos)

Language

Eu (digraph), a digraph found in many languages
eu-, a prefix meaning "good, well"
Basque language's ISO 639 alpha-2 language code

Science

Europium, a chemical element with atomic number 63 and symbol Eu
Entropy Unit, non-SI unit of molar energy, e.u. = 4.184 Jmol-1K-1

Universities and colleges

Eastern University (United States), a university in Pennsylvania
Edinburgh University, a university in Scotland
Emory University, a college in Atlanta
Elon University, a college in North Carolina
Ehime University, a university in Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan

Other uses

Ephraim Union, a regional political party in the Indian state of Mizoram
European Union, a German resistance group during WWII
Europium's chemical element symbol
Execution unit, a part of a CPU
Eu, Europinidin, an anthocyanidin
The Sydney University Evangelical Union a large christian student group at Sydney University
Emergency Unit of the Hong Kong Police

So which is it in this particular instance? If something has that many interpretations it needs to be said.

Interestingly I didn't know the European Union was originally an anti-Nazi resistance.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

What's the best smiley to use as a "two fingered salute" aimed at Raz and Josephus?

:lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ideologue

If they don't have an option for "professional degree," is a J.D. equivalent to a doctorate or a master's?  I'd think master's, but it has the word "doctor" right there.  Also WTF does "higher degree" mean, when it comes on the list after "doctorate"?  Nobel laureate?  I'm pretty sure Paul Krugman isn't applying to be a loan coordinator at a Bank of America.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 03:32:51 PM
If they don't have an option for "professional degree," is a J.D. equivalent to a doctorate or a master's?  I'd think master's, but it has the word "doctor" right there.  Also WTF does "higher degree" mean, when it comes on the list after "doctorate"?  Nobel laureate?
In this part of the world, if you want to become a full professor, you'll usually need to prove your scientific merits beyond a doctoral dissertation by achieving something called a habilitation, which usually involves serious scientific work over several years at a higher level than a mere doctorate. No idea about an American context though.

EDIT: I saw that you added the loan coordinator bit. No idea then as what I said only makes sense in an academic context. Maybe they have no clue either.

Ideologue

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 03:25:56 PM
What's the best smiley to use as a "two fingered salute" aimed at Raz and Josephus?

Raz feigns ignorance and affects a disdain for direly nerdy shit like the contract fan fiction of the Star Wars extended universe for reasons known only to himself.  I wouldn't take it personally.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Agelastus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 03:39:02 PM

Raz feigns ignorance and affects a disdain for direly nerdy shit like the contract fan fiction of the Star Wars extended universe for reasons known only to himself.  I wouldn't take it personally.

The traditional British "two fingered salute" has been used at least ninety percent in jest for a generation...I thought that was plain from my post. :(

I'd still like a suggestion for the future... ;)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on July 08, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
If they don't have an option for "professional degree," is a J.D. equivalent to a doctorate or a master's?  I'd think master's, but it has the word "doctor" right there.  Also WTF does "higher degree" mean, when it comes on the list after "doctorate"?  Nobel laureate?
In this part of the world, if you want to become a full professor, you'll usually need to prove your scientific merits beyond a doctoral dissertation by achieving something called a habilitation, which usually involves serious scientific work over several years at a higher level than a mere doctorate. No idea about an American context though.

I'm assuming at least a Hero of the Soviet Union medal for excellence in rocketry.  They don't hire just anyone at BoA.

Some of the job descriptions are written in a manner that I don't even understand what they do.

Quote from: BoA Change ManagerManages mid-size projects relating to corporate change initiatives that impact a single major business or function. Normally, initiatives limited in scope to department products, processes or functions although some may have cross-functional or inter-departmental implications. Some may also have significant impact on the ability of the department to effectively deliver products or services. All require cross-divisional coordination, communication, influence and negotiation. A Change Mgr is responsible for analyzing present-state, developing alternative future-state approaches and facilitating implementation. Actively involved in the conduct/execution of project activities. Has actual staffing, performance management and compensation decision-making responsibilities for team. Typically has responsibility for project staff and budget. Serves as secondary contact to senior department managers for critical change initiatives and provides assistance to staff. Business liaison with the client organization. Typically 5 or more years of experience in change management preferred. Project management certification or equivalent experience preferred.

I wonder if there's a "Hope Manager."

...Oh, okay, looking at the change consultant, it becomes clearer--it involves implementing regulatory changes.  Hey, I could probably do that.  But I don't know if I could do cross-divisional influence.  Do I have enough diplomatic points?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 03:42:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 03:39:02 PM

The traditional British "two fingered salute" has been used at least ninety percent in jest for a generation...I thought that was plain from my post. :(

I'd still like a suggestion for the future... ;)

You could just type, "fuck off, you stupid wanker."  That's sufficiently British, right?  I think I read it in an issue of Hellblazer.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

If they don't have an option for "professional degree," is a J.D. equivalent to a doctorate or a master's?  I'd think master's, but it has the word "doctor" right there.  Also WTF does "higher degree" mean, when it comes on the list after "doctorate"?  Nobel laureate?  I'm pretty sure Paul Krugman isn't applying to be a loan coordinator at a Bank of America.

It's a bachellor's degree.  You aren't required to get an undergrad before giong into law (though most do, myself included).  There are separate programs for a Masters in Law and a Doctor of Law.

I'll spare you my rant about the whole "J.D." name though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 03:51:16 PM

It's a bachellor's degree.  You aren't required to get an undergrad before giong into law (though most do, myself included).  There are separate programs for a Masters in Law and a Doctor of Law.

Nope.  It's an absolute requirement in the United States, if you're going to an ABA approved school.

QuoteI'll spare you my rant about the whole "J.D." name though.

Law doctor.  Makes sense to me.  Although I went with master's degree.  It is not a bachelor's degree.
Kinemalogue

Zanza

I just learned from Wikipedia that there is a difference between "scientific" and "professional" doctorates, with J.D. being one of the latter. The more you know...