News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

George Plimpton was born and raised in NYC and I think may have lived his entire life there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
Yes...that is it. Tell me more about this Brahmin accent. It is such a weird and distinctive American accent.
In Boston, it's associated with cultural elites.  No specific area of Boston is known for it but you'd find lots of people speaking with it in wealthy strongholds like Newton, Brookline, and stuff.  When I was at Harvard I heard it all the time, especially from people who were 'old money'.  I had a co-worker whose husband was the CEO of State Street Global Advisors (she was a Radcliffe Alum and he was Harvard College + HBS) and we used to jokingly call her "Lovie", after the Gilligans' Island character.

Admiral Yi

I think there's a NY accent called Hudson Valley something something.  Used by the old Dutch families who originally settled.  Very old money.

Wouldn't make sense for a New Yorker to have a Boston Brahmin accent.

Not to be confused with Long Island Lockjaw.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2020, 02:51:53 PM
Wouldn't make sense for a New Yorker to have a Boston Brahmin accent.
To me at least, the Brahmin accent sounds pretty much the same as the Mid-Atlantic accent.

merithyn

For the wine drinkers among us, there's a marathon sale going on right now through Last Bottle, a clearinghouse for wines. Today and tomorrow, every few minutes, a new wine is put up for sale at anywhere from 25% to 80% off retail prices. It stays up until they're all gone. They also include the best web price for the wine to compare the sale price to it.

So far, I've bought seven bottles that retail for over $750 for ~$100.

If you're interested, let me know, and I'll send you an invite. Register with that and you'll get a $10 credit immediately.

This is almost as fun as an auction. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

This delivery to Australia was mis-sent to Austria not once, not twice, but FIVE times! :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

It's already hilarious that they have a customized stamp for it :lol:

Josquius

Wow. Puts my aunt's Falklands fiasco into perspective :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on August 28, 2020, 03:00:26 AM

I understand most places where mail from abroad is collected have those, not just Austria/Australia. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2020, 04:32:02 AM
Quote from: Maladict on August 28, 2020, 03:00:26 AM

I understand most places where mail from abroad is collected have those, not just Austria/Australia. ;)

I figured Austria's stamp was meant to prevent it from happening again, and other countries just chuck missent items back in the outgoing mail.

merithyn

Aren't zip codes a thing in those countries?? :blink:

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2020, 11:21:01 AM

Yes, but it's being sent by US Post, based on the stamp top right, so .... :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2020, 11:31:08 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2020, 11:21:01 AM

Yes, but it's being sent by US Post, based on the stamp top right, so .... :P

We have zip codes! :contract:

We also have a generation of people who have no idea how to send mail. :blush:

The Brain

So they don't have enough funds but they can afford to send something to the wrong place over and over?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

From Wiki:

QuoteCorn Exchange, Market Square, Kettering, 1853 by E. F. Law. The upper floor was designed as a Town Hall. In use October 2012 as fitness centre and betting shop.

Bit of a drop there ....
—Stephen Jay Gould