News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on August 31, 2020, 05:01:00 AM
Drawing awfully close to the fine people on both sides thing here.
Left wing lunatics exist definitely. Go watch that episode of Louis Theroux where he spends time with the survivalists in North Dakota....
But in terms of numbers we're talking 80:20 at best/worst.
No idea about survivalists in North Dakota, but among the people protesting in Berlin last weekend the leftist crazies were a majority according to media estimates I saw. However, if you join forces with Nazis to demand government stepping down and a constitutional assembly you are no better than them. And that discredits whatever valid concerns regarding restrictions of our basic rights they might otherwise voice. 

Duque de Bragança

Drawing awfully close to the fine people on both sides thing here.
Left wing lunatics exist definitely. Go watch that episode of Louis Theroux where he spends time with the survivalists in North Dakota....
But in terms of numbers we're talking 80:20 at best/worst.

Reductio ad trumpem?  :lol:

Indeed not the same, since you don't see far right politicians having such views holding political office in France.
In Paris, the attempt at an anti-mask demonstration only gathered 200-300 people with a real mishmash of conspiracy theories. Le Monde noticed a yellow vest tried to convince demonstrators to join in an action against the Macron régime but they politely declined since it involved spending some time at a police station and did not want to mix issues anyways.

QuoteQuant à la requête d'un « gilet jaune » venu demander « qu'on se fasse tous embarquer, on aura notre revanche ! », elle ne récoltera que quelques refus interloqués : « Ah non mais là, faut pas tout mélanger. »
https://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2020/08/29/a-paris-un-rassemblement-anti-masques-aux-revendications-multiples_6050332_823448.html

By the way, guess who was skeptical of the asymptomatic issues involved with Covid and the precaution principle behind steps such as mask-wearing? Champagne left socialite [spoiler]intellectual fraud[/spoiler] Bernard-Henri Lévy who called the asymptomatic patient a "medical absurdity" on Twitter, obviously.  :lmfao:

QuoteMolière a inventé le malade imaginaire. Voici venu le temps du malade sans le savoir, c'est à dire asymptomatique et d'autant plus dangereux, voire coupable, qu'il est malade sans l'être. Absurdité médicale. Forfait moral et politique. Crime contre l'esprit. #cevirusquirendfou

https://twitter.com/BHL/status/1297662533009133569

Health minister tried to explain him later on the issues at hand on Twitter.

Syt

Vienna public transport's official twitter staying "with it":

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Oh well even among the mainstream leftists you have crazy hippy shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2020, 07:19:42 AM

Do the Razzies have music categories?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2020, 07:19:42 AM

So hip and cool. I bet the other kids think its rad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

I will run for office on a single issue platform of banning brands from behaving like people on social media <_< :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2020, 09:59:13 AM
I will run for office on a single issue platform of banning brands from behaving like people on social media <_< :ultra:

I dunno - few do it well, but I enjoy the few brands that do it well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2020, 09:59:13 AM

But how else will they communicate their brand values to their target demographic?  :(

Tonitrus

And what if the person is a brand?

You would ban Oprah.  :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 31, 2020, 10:42:48 AM
And what if the person is a brand?

You would ban Oprah.  :(
You can't make an omelette without banning Oprah :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

The amazing President of Ireland paying tribute to Van Morrison for his 75th birthday :lol: :wub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=Q8K_mQlDw4I&feature=emb_title

Edit: He really is my favourite world leader. Elect more poets!
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Saladin

So..
I might swing by the great state of Virginia next year. :ph34r:
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.