News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2020, 10:22:32 PM
Recently came across a picture of Joseph Bloor, an early 19th century brewer and land speculator who was the guy "Bloor Street" in Toronto was named after.

The man has the single least flattering photograph I have ever seen. Seriously, check this guy out:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bloor

I sense a marketing idea: put his pic on the label of a locally brewed beer!

Looks like an old Pewdiepie

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2020, 10:22:32 PM
Recently came across a picture of Joseph Bloor, an early 19th century brewer and land speculator who was the guy "Bloor Street" in Toronto was named after.

The man has the single least flattering photograph I have ever seen. Seriously, check this guy out:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bloor

I sense a marketing idea: put his pic on the label of a locally brewed beer!

Actually, that looks like one of the pics you would see on a 19 Crimes wine bottle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

The theme of the Osaka 2025 Expo appears to be: eldritch abominations.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Today in "Feeling old already?" news, Macaulay Culkin has turned 40.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2020, 07:11:43 AM
Today in "Feeling old already?" news, Macaulay Culkin has turned 40.

He was always older than me, so I'd hope so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2020, 01:12:35 AM
The theme of the Osaka 2025 Expo appears to be: eldritch abominations.

The cuddly Shoggoth!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Okay, this is maybe more sad than funny, but it is still pretty funny.

Apparently, the entire Scots language Wikipedia was made up of articles written or edited by a very dedicated American kid who spoke no Scots - he basically just wrote it in "Groundskeeper Willie".

Some people who did speak Scots noticed, but when they mentioned it, they got attacked by Wikipedia editors - who claimed the complainers were against linguistic diversity! The editors, who did not speak Scots, were fooled by the ubiquitous fake Scots entries into thinking the entries were written in real Scots.

This went on for years and years. Allegedly, language-detection software uses the Wikipedia entries, so fake Scots is displacing real Scots!

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/26/scots_wikipedia_fake/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

FunkMonk

From the article

QuoteIt's not clear whether the Wikipedian – who identifies as a Christian furry living in the US – has spent the past near-decade creating thousands of fake posts as some kind of incredible practical joke

:lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Poor Scotland. It gets no respect, no respect at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

A Christian Furry teenager took on the task that defeated Edward Longshanks ...

Josquius

Anyone else getting the impression America is currently in the flash back scenes of a post apocalyptic movie?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Someone said that 2020 in the US feels like a season finale of a TV show. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

:D

Yeah it's not looking good. As it was discussed in the other thread, it seems the protests are entering the stage where the far-right have been routinely showing up with firearms, so the protesters will be inclined to arm up as well and it's hard to blame them. From there though it is only a matter of time before a shooting happens and with a mass of people and automatic weapons it will be very ugly.

In fact I am guessing what they are starting to look like is Spain 1936.