News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2020, 06:07:33 AMIn fact I am guessing what they are starting to look like is Spain 1936.

If you want to get into proper pre-SCW vibes you need extra judicial murders of political figures first.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2020, 02:59:50 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2020, 01:44:21 AM
Surprised that the figure for Spain is so high to be honest. Military issues are pretty unpopular (and people in favor of military spending are usually nationalists).

Thats a primary benefit of the EU army though. Massively cuts down on what you have to spend.
Maybe. Given that most of, say, Belgium's defence budget is spent on pensions I don't think it would have that much of an impact and many European states still need to spend more whether they're doing it alone or together.

QuoteIf you want to get into proper pre-SCW vibes you need extra judicial murders of political figures first.
Yeah - I've always thought one of the distinguishing features between US politics and pre-fascist politics is the lack of street violence. But here we are now.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2020, 05:30:51 AM
Anyone else getting the impression America is currently in the flash back scenes of a post apocalyptic movie?

:unsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

Sheilbh

Americans!

What is John Lithgow's accent? :hmm: :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 27, 2020, 10:59:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2020, 05:30:51 AM
Anyone else getting the impression America is currently in the flash back scenes of a post apocalyptic movie?

:unsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

I'd say it's less Road Warrior-ish and more The Purge-ish.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 27, 2020, 11:54:51 AM
Americans!

I'd say it mostly matches where he is from?  An upstate-New York/New Englander accent (definitely none of the Boston/NYC extremes).

But professional/career actors with lifelong training like him can usually be oddities when it comes to their accents...I think.

Sheilbh

Yeah I've just seen a couple of things with him and I don't think he's doing "an accent", and I feel like it matches his voice in some interviews. But it's just struck me how distinctive it is and wondering what it is?

I was wondering if it was maybe some sort of classic, slightly old school WASP accent or something. Which maybe it could be with an upstate New York/New England accent.

But yeah maybe it's a little bit of just actor's training. Especially because I feel like he's done a fair bit of theatre - but I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Americans!

You got a YouTube video or something that demonstrates well what you think his accent sounds like?  If so I'll give it a listen.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2020, 01:07:26 PM
Americans!

You got a YouTube video or something that demonstrates well what you think his accent sounds like?  If so I'll give it a listen.
I was searching for a clip of him on Bake Off - but this has it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHDEF3dgf4
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

He has this north-east accent that only the fanciest people seem to have. It is almost Mid-Atlantic but not quite. I don't live in the north-east so I don't know if it's a class thing or what.

This verbose reenactor youtuber Brandon F has it really thick.

Now it sounds like an affectation but I think it is just how this specific population talks whoever they are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I agree, it's not a regional accent.  It's a cultivated accent he probably developed on stage.  I checked Wiki and he was born in Rochester and seems to have spent some of his childhood in New Jersey, too, but his accent corresponds to neither of those locations.  He did go to Harvard and his speech patterns strongly resemble the 'Brahmin' accent used by the Boston elite, though.

If you were to listen to a clip of say George Plimpton speaking, who had a notably heavy Brahmin accent, I think you'd see a resemblance.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Great, now I feel like watching When We Were Kings again.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2020, 01:53:53 PM
I agree, it's not a regional accent.  It's a cultivated accent he probably developed on stage.  I checked Wiki and he was born in Rochester and seems to have spent some of his childhood in New Jersey, too, but his accent corresponds to neither of those locations.  He did go to Harvard and his speech patterns strongly resemble the 'Brahmin' accent used by the Boston elite, though.

If you were to listen to a clip of say George Plimpton speaking, who had a notably heavy Brahmin accent, I think you'd see a resemblance.

Yes...that is it. Tell me more about this Brahmin accent. It is such a weird and distinctive American accent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Okay - I feel I'm kind of happy I got it right-ish with old school WASP.

Although I did just listen to Plimpton and would say that may be on the same continuum but is far, far further along. I'd guess he was either a Brit who lived in the UK for a long time or vice versa (WASPs - Foreshadowing Madonna). That accent - to British ears is barely American, while Lithgow is definitely American just a distinctive version.
Let's bomb Russia!